GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Flex Fuel question

Some say, the Captiva's 3.0 SIDI V6 is capable of flex fuel.

However, I'm not able to tell whether or not it will run on e85 or not. My vehicle did not come with an owners manual, and I'm not able to locate a definite answer online.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Well if it is would you like to get about 30-40% LESS MPG's?? Do you have the E-85 flex fuel badge in the back?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

The GM Powertrain site lists it as an E-85 capable engine, but their inconsistant on vehicle aplications as they state its only available in the Cadilliac CTS wagon.
    Id contact GM to get the straight scoop.

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/VehicleE...roduction.aspx

Check the RPO sticker in your glove box. If it has LFW, then you have the flex-fuel version of the 3.0. If it's LF1, you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Well if it is would you like to get about 30-40% LESS MPG's?? Do you have the E-85 flex fuel badge in the back?
    Less mpg does not show the whole picture. Let's take last summer...

I could get E85 for $2.86 a gallon, E10 was $3.86 a gallon, and Regular was $3.95 a gallon. On E10, my mpg was around 18 average in my Silverado. That was a cost per mile cost of almost 21.5 cents a mile. With E85, I was getting 14 mpg. That cost per mile was just under 20.5 cents a mile. So, even though the fuel mileage was less with E85, my cost per mile was lower.

Those that look only at mpg run the risk of spending more than they need to for fuel. One has to know the cost per mile to find out what is the best value. In my case, the cost differential is not as great, so I am using E10 thru the winter. When the prices fluctuate next spring, I will reevaluate things and, more than likely, will go back to E85. These fuel price differentials are a seasonal thing.
    2013 Silverado 1500 LT Z-71 Crew. 5.3L Auto. Range AFM Delete, PCV Catch Can, RC Leveling kit, Dynomax Ultra Flo cat back, Airaid M.I.T.

2013 Freightliner Columbia. pre-EGR Detroit 12.7L 500 hp 1850 lb torque, 18 speed.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Thats cause you are in the Farm belt E-85 here in the NE is about only 20-30 cents less then Reg and a few stations have stopped selling it..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Ive been watching E85 prices locally for over a year, when you can find E85 the price never strays more than .20 less than regular.
    It needs to be much closer to $1 considering loss of mileage and the fact I have to go out of my way to find it for useage to save me any money.

And that $.80 to $1 spread does occur during the summer months usually. Sure, I live in the corn belt where this is a viable solution. Nothing like being at the source of where this stuff is made. But that really wasn't the issue. Some will use it because they think it is "greener" to do so. Some won't use it because they have some sort of paranoia gland and fall for conspiracy issues. E85 is just a fuel. I was just commenting that one needs to look at the cost per mile to use a fuel as opposed to only looking at MPG. Many people can't see beyond the MPG numbers and look behind the curtain and see what that mpg is costing them. If it is costing a couple of cents a mile more to use a fuel that gives the appearance of being great because you are getting a couple more mpg out of it, then what's the point?

I am not impressed with mpg figures that people show. It is the lowest cost per mile that impresses me more. I didn't say the lowest cost at the pump. They are different things. I am only advocating that one use the fuel that gives them the lowest cost per mile to use. If that is regular, then go for it. If it is E85 then go for it.
    2013 Silverado 1500 LT Z-71 Crew. 5.3L Auto. Range AFM Delete, PCV Catch Can, RC Leveling kit, Dynomax Ultra Flo cat back, Airaid M.I.T.

2013 Freightliner Columbia. pre-EGR Detroit 12.7L 500 hp 1850 lb torque, 18 speed.

I stick to regular unlead. All this ethanol makes the corn go up in prices. I have cattle and other animals and all that so it's not to good for me on money.

Well everything is pretty much going up nowadays. The US is going downhill. Practically China owns us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast