GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

anyway, my truck is not flex fuel. and I have recently started putting in an ethanol stabilizer once a month into my gas tank (about every 4th tank or so) I played around a little bit with an old piston I had laying around, put some e-85 on it and let it sit. 2 days later, was rusted beyond belief. so F* ethanol. stuff is like cancer.
    2012 Chevy Captiva Sport LT V6 (The Spanish Prison)

MODS:

Cobra 19 Ultra II CB and some generic CB antenna.
    55W 10000K HID High Beams (just to remind the wonderful citizens of Hampton that their High Beams are on)

Upcoming mods:

[_] Exhaust [_]Subwoofers [_]More HID's [_]LED's [_]MORE LIGHTS!!! [_]Carr Light Bar w/ 3 or 4 in round off-road lights. [_]Black out Badges [_]Black out exhaust tips [_]Black out imitation skid plates on front and rear [_]Hopefully find a way to keep fogs, low beams, and high beams on at the same time

Jason

Well, it is common knowledge in an uncontrolled environment like out in the open as in your comment about putting it on an old piston, that ethanol will attract moisture. Hence the rust. Not exactly a lab controlled environment type of testing. But if you skip on over to www.camaros.net and do a search on E85 and engine wear, you will find an engine opened up showing top end after 2 years (as opposed to your 2 days) running E85. One of the best engine top ends I have seen for the time frame.

Hell, if E85 is as bad as your example, my 5.3L shouldn't even turn over after almost a year primarily on E85, but it runs great.
    2013 Silverado 1500 LT Z-71 Crew. 5.3L Auto. Range AFM Delete, PCV Catch Can, RC Leveling kit, Dynomax Ultra Flo cat back, Airaid M.I.T.

2013 Freightliner Columbia. pre-EGR Detroit 12.7L 500 hp 1850 lb torque, 18 speed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345