GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Evaporation temperature/rate of ATF Fluid

More transmission fun... Today, I went to go fire up the truck after it's been sitting for close to a month. I knew the transmission fluid was going to be a bit low because I haven't seated my dipstick tube yet, but it seemed like I am missing a lot more than I should. I put 3 quarts of ATF in the transmission, when it should have taken about 2/3 of a quart to bring it up to where it hsould be to shift right. So, where does ATF start evaporating at? And what would be the rate of evaporation. It's had a month to evaporate away in standard hot and humid temperatures. It doesn't seem like it should have gone that fast... Any opinions?
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

It hasnt been hot enough for your tranny fluid to evaporate, remember this stuff normally operates above 200deg. You've got a leak somewhere. Whats the underside of the truck look like?

Well, the underside looks like sh*t... but, it's looked that way since I destroyed the transmission. I know I had ATF leaking out when I drove the truck because it would slosh out the dipstick tube hole when I'd stop. However, on average, I'd only lose something like 3/4 of a quart per trip due to it sloshing out. When I lost almost 4 quarts since I last drove it and parked, that seemedf a little out of character. However, I should have all my leaks resolved now since I've put my transmission cooler in and seated my transmission dipstick properly. It was just a curisoity thing that got me...
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage