GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default "New 95 C1500" Laundry list

Ok....bought truck from son with assurance "everything worked" HA! Anyway..put reman 350 in it got it running...sounds killer. However the following exists and I am looking for advice and ideas on where to start. I have a haynes manual which has been some help.

1. With truck in a static position and no key in ignition 3 lights on the gauge cluster are lit: Service Engine Soon, Air Bag and BAT. If I do not disco the battery it will be dead in the morning. It starts fine and all light go off with the exception of the SES light.

2. No brake lights....none all other light functions seem to be normal...blinkers etc....no center brake light (the one on the cab)

3. No cargo light.

4. No wipers.

5. No cruise.

6. No Heater

7. No A/C

Other issues....hesitates when accelerating. Had timing set by ASE mechanic (wanted it right)..not hard to do but didn't want to mess with it.

Trans shifting funny (has 2500 stall converter...) change fluid and filter..made a 100% difference but still not right (to my ears). Fluid looked like it had been in there since 95...lol.

My assumption is that if i can get #1 fixed the rest would fall into place....optimistic thinking. I have checked the fuses....twice.

So I am appealing to the Chevy gods for assistance and ideas, this is going to be my everyday driver and resto project.

Thanx in advance. I will post pics later today.

With all that electrical stuff not working, I would suspect that a fuseable link has blown........if they still use those

1997 GMC

The symptoms you have make me think part of the ignition system is staying energized after key rotation to off.
    The two items I would first suspect are the ignition cylinder it self, possibly not disconnecting the circuit, or a relay for the ignition system is stuck and not allowing power to go off.

I had the same thought. May have to get into that.

I can hear a squealing sound from the alternator when the cables are connected and not running. Will probably have that tested..although it does seem to be charging the bat.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't found any as of yet.......doesn't mean they don't exist.

- - - Updated - - -

Replaced thermostat...but the rad hose (upper) remains hard as a rock..as if the thermostat is not opening......same as with old thermo......and yes it is in correctly...spring facing down into intake. All sensors have been replaced too.....