GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Lowering without compromising hauling ability..

Hey guys, I wanted to lower my truck while still being able to haul alot.
    No I don't really have the money for an air suspension system.
    I want to lower the front 2-3 inches and lower the rear a couple inches as well.
    First off, can I JUST buy lowering springs for the front and call it a day? Also are there any lowering leaf kits for the rear that won't hinder my hauling needs as well?
    And if not, is it possible to also slap on 2500 or 3500 leaf springs?

1988 Chevy C1500 350 Ref Can Long bed.

Thanks
    1988 Chevrolet C1500 Silverado 5.7 350 Reg Cab Long Bed
    15X8 Pro Comp wheels ready for mounting (need new tires) Spectre air filter. More mods coming soon.
    106K on the odometer as of now.

Lowering the truck wont completely compromise the towing it will just give the truck less space to sag as additional load is added. Adding bigger springs even tho it will decrease the amount the truck sags it will make the truck ride like poop when unloaded. A good option that many members have used as an alternative to air bags is Roadmaster Active Suspension. Here a link to their site: http://www.activesuspension.com/

They system helps you leafs handle normal loads and reduces the amount of sagging that happens while towing.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Oh ok thanks a lot man.

You can add a couple leafs to the rear and Use longer leaf spring shackles. As long as you don't remove any leafs from your rear springs, your payload capacity will change little to none at all. As stated above, it just loses sag room. Big whoop there. Don't listen to the dumb arse yahoos that say lowered trucks can't tow as much as stock. Post pics when you've finished your drop bud!
    Chuckie!!!

Lowered my s10 3 inches all around. I almost always haul stuff. And i tow a trailer that carries my walk behind commercial and a push mower. I haul my dirt bike around with no problem as well.

Yours should do just fine.
    95 S10 LS 5 speed ext cab 2wd "work truck"
    3/3 static _ Spectre Air Filter _ Punched out cat _ Glasspack>

99 S10 Xtreme 3rd door, 5 speed 4.3 VIN W
    Hurst Short Throw Shifter _
    American Racing wheels (275/60/15; 215/70/15) _ Sub/Amp/Stereo _ TB Mod>

Ok and I will man, thanks