GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Can anybody tell me whats causing this noise?(video inside)

Ive been getting this noise for over a year now.Its worst on a cold morning and often goes away as the motor gets warm.In the summer its not that bad but in the winter it is louder and last longer.Ive changed the alternator, idler pully and a new belt and still havent figured it out..Figured some of you could point me in the right direction.Thanks in advance!!

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

One of the pulley's has a bad bearing.. I think...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Yep sounds a lot like a bad bearing on either the stationary pully or the tensioner.
    Shoot a little liquid tephlon on their bearings one at a time, when the noise goes away youll know ya got the right one. Lube wont solve the problem, only make the noise disappear for a little while.
    You could also use a stethascope to pinpoint the noise.

May be far reaching, but have you changed the spark plugs... Kind sounds as if one is losing compression, ie... Loose, or leaking around the ceramic ???? My reasoning it sounds a bit like a cam lope. ( not lobe, LOPE )

Legend

what vehicle / engine is this ?

sounds like a valve issue clanking sound.

I would use a rubber hose to probe for the sound location. stick one end in your ear the other probe the engine for source.

if its been going on over a year i don't know if a valve train issue should have left you stranded by now.
    i would look into the power steering pump bearing or A/C clutch bearing ,, possible water pump
    but they usually leak ,, but don't don't have to leak to have bad bearing,,,
    in order i would go

a
    A/C clutch bearing

power steeing bearing

water pump
    take your belt off and roll each one by hand with a home made stethoscope
    of an old screw driver blade with a rubber hose slid over it and see what you hear from
    each one of them.
    (you will have to put power to the A/C unit to unlock the clutch) i think.

sorry jcat ,, just saw your post on the rubber tube for listening.....

terry m

7. Thanks silverhobey thanked for this post
    Likes silverhobey liked this post
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by redchev4x4 View Post
    if its been going on over a year i don't know if a valve train issue should have left you stranded by now.
    i would look into the power steering pump bearing or A/C clutch bearing ,, possible water pump
    in order i would go

a
    A/C clutch bearing

power steeing bearing

water pump
    take your belt off and roll each one by hand with a home made stethoscope
    of an old screw driver blade with a rubber hose slid over it and see what you hear from
    each one of them.
    (you will have to put power to the A/C unit to unlock the clutch) i think.

sorry jcat ,, just saw your post on the rubber tube for listening.....

terry m
    I learned about the hose trick years ago . much easier on the ear. hose works just like a scope.

I'm going with the bearing on the idler pulley.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Like I said Idler pully is brand new.So that knocks that theory out the door

Quote Originally Posted by redchev4x4 View Post
    in order i would go

a
    A/C clutch bearing

terry m
    Terry, I am glad you mentioned a/c clutch because it refreshed my memory of when the noise first started a year ago.It was barley noticeable a year ago but it made a 1 second noise when the a/c kicked in when I ran my air conditioner.I am guessing its A/C clutch bearing for sure now.What you think?Is the A/C clutch bearing tough to change??

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blitz28179 View Post
    Like I said Idler pully is brand new.So that knocks that theory out the door

Terry, I am glad you mentioned a/c clutch because it refreshed my memory of when the noise first started a year ago.It was barely noticeable a year ago but it made a 1 second noise when the a/c kicked in when I ran my air conditioner.I am guessing its A/C clutch bearing for sure now.What you think?Is the A/C clutch bearing tough to change??
    if the AC compressor bearing is bad you will require a new compressor.

do the noise location troubleshooting to find the location of the sound.