GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Sr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Croton on Hudson NY
    Posts
    60

    Default 2001 Suburban rear rotor question

    I recently ordered a Powerstop pad and rotor kit for my rear brakes and gave them to my mechanic to install. There were two kits available: one for trucks with rotors greater than 1" thick and one for trucks with rotors less than i" thick. I bought the latter kit. When I went to pick up the truck, the mechanic told me the pads were too small, and he had ordered and installed the correct ones from a local parts wholesaler. I asked him how the rotors were, and he said they fit fine. I am now concerned that I bought the wrong kit and that the rotors "fit" but are actually too narrow. What would be the downside of using these rotors? Should I get the correct ones and replace them? Could they possibly be the correct ones? The overall braking is much better than before I dropped the truck off.
    John

    2001 Suburban 1500 4WD LSD

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rs6er View Post
    I recently ordered a Powerstop pad and rotor kit for my rear brakes and gave them to my mechanic to install. There were two kits available: one for trucks with rotors greater than 1" thick and one for trucks with rotors less than i" thick. I bought the latter kit. When I went to pick up the truck, the mechanic told me the pads were too small, and he had ordered and installed the correct ones from a local parts wholesaler. I asked him how the rotors were, and he said they fit fine. I am now concerned that I bought the wrong kit and that the rotors "fit" but are actually too narrow. What would be the downside of using these rotors? Should I get the correct ones and replace them? Could they possibly be the correct ones? The overall braking is much better than before I dropped the truck off.
    I checked out some auto parts sites. The thicker rotor comes in a 12.95" dia and thickness of 1.18" . The thinner is 12.80" dia and thickness of 0.79". I don't know of the thicker one would have fit due to the larger diameter. It is more than 1/8" difference in dia. BUT, your mechanic should have compared the old one with the new one and made sure that they are the same diameter. If he said that the pads were too small then I an thinking that you had the wrong rotors installed. That depends on what he means by "small". Were they not thick enough? or did not fit in the brackets? Again, he should have compared diameters and let you know if they were not the same. If they are not the same diameter and you are using the smaller one you risk warping them quickly.

    1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

    2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

  3. #3
    Sr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Croton on Hudson NY
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I checked out some auto parts sites. The thicker rotor comes in a 12.95" dia and thickness of 1.18" . The thinner is 12.80" dia and thickness of 0.79". I don't know of the thicker one would have fit due to the larger diameter. It is more than 1/8" difference in dia. BUT, your mechanic should have compared the old one with the new one and made sure that they are the same diameter. If he said that the pads were too small then I an thinking that you had the wrong rotors installed. That depends on what he means by "small". Were they not thick enough? or did not fit in the brackets? Again, he should have compared diameters and let you know if they were not the same. If they are not the same diameter and you are using the smaller one you risk warping them quickly.
    He didn't say the rotors were too small. He said the pads were- which they were. I'm not sure he would have noticed the difference in rotor diameter. Since the rotors were worn, he probably would not have noticed the thickness issue. I am going by to pick up the old rotors, which, by the way, probably had about .15" of rust on the edges
    John

    2001 Suburban 1500 4WD LSD

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rs6er View Post
    He didn't say the rotors were too small. He said the pads were- which they were. I'm not sure he would have noticed the difference in rotor diameter. Since the rotors were worn, he probably would not have noticed the thickness issue. I am going by to pick up the old rotors, which, by the way, probably had about .15" of rust on the edges
    Even with worn rotors I think that you would notice the difference between 1.18" thick and .79" thick. Were the pads not thick enough?? If so, then I would think that a thicker rotor would have been needed to use the pads that you wanted.

    1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

    2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

  5. #5
    Sr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Croton on Hudson NY
    Posts
    60

    Default

    So it appears that the rotors are indeed smaller than those that came off the truck. My question is this: Since the rotors are now slightly used and the original packaging is gone, could I just leave them on the truck and accept that they will have to be replaced prematurely or would it be a big mistake to do this? The swept area is not that much smaller; the thickness yes. Wouldd they just warp?
    John

    2001 Suburban 1500 4WD LSD

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rs6er View Post
    So it appears that the rotors are indeed smaller than those that came off the truck. My question is this: Since the rotors are now slightly used and the original packaging is gone, could I just leave them on the truck and accept that they will have to be replaced prematurely or would it be a big mistake to do this? The swept area is not that much smaller; the thickness yes. Wouldd they just warp?
    I know on my truck that the pads are pretty darn close to the edge of the rotors. I would think that if the rotors are smaller the pads would be riding on the edge. Less material means that they are going to heat up faster. If it were my truck I would buy the correct setup and then try to sell the wrong set on ebay or caigslist. If the mechanic laid the old and new rotor back to back the difference in diameter should have been pretty obvious! I always do this when installing new rotors on anything. You never know, the parts store could have given you the incorrect part, I have seen parts in mis-labeled boxes, or in your case there is more than one part available. On my 02 I made 2 trips back to the store. On the second trip I bought every option they had for rotors for the truck. When I got home I found the correct set and then returned the rest of them. It seems like rear rotors are always the hardest to get correct.

    1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

    2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

  7. #7
    Sr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Croton on Hudson NY
    Posts
    60

    Default

    I looked at the rotors on the truck. They do seem way too thin. The fault is mine. I ordered the wrong parts. I am going to get the correct rotors and try to sell the others. I am being allowed to return the pads that were part of the set. Sometimes trying to save money costs you in the end. At least, I will change the rotors myself. In the mechanics defense, he was also doing repairs to the hubs and parking brake system. The clips were rusted into the calipers and one of the guide pins was frozen. It took way longer than he expected. Thanks for the advice.
    John

    2001 Suburban 1500 4WD LSD

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •