GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default What's the difference between an engine, motor and generator?

I've been thinking about how we use language so informally these days. It's like the difference between a cell and a battery. Technically, when multiple cells are put together, it's a battery of cells. The term "battery" refers to the collection ... like a missile battery.

Likewise, many people use the terms motor, engine and even generator as synonyms. But they're not quite the same. I've taken the following from a few different sources.

A motor is a device that changes electrical energy into mechanical energy, while an engine is a device, which converts chemical energy or heat energy into mechanical energy.

Therefore, motors are electric, while engines are powered by pressure or combustion. Your typical gasoline engine has an electrical starter motor.

Generators are devices that convert chemical energy into electrical energy. My parents fleetwood rv has a diesel generator to run the AC while they are off the grid.
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 10-28-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

I live just south of Philadelphia, small community that sits on the Delaware River.

Well the English language has 350.000 words in it, but on average, we only use about 10.000 in our entire lives ? This is why it's so hard for other of different ethnic backgrounds to learn it.

Ive also had thought on this also... I work with a guy that is from southern Pennsylvania and some of his terms are kind of funny to me being from NY. some examples are:

The can of paint is all. (I say the can of paint is all gone)
    Move the truck front. (I say move the truck forward)
    Let that truck there. (I say leave that truck there)

I also believe that our trucks have an Engine not a Motor
    I try to always refer to an engine as running on fuel and a motor is electrical. ex. You dont call a starter motor a starter engine. although many people say the motor in my truck is blown not refering to the starter.

I think a lot of our terminology has to do with where we grew up. Definitely interesting how people use words differently but mean the same thing and sometimes so much variance that they may even be hard to understand what their trying to say.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

I agree that a motor is an electrical device that turns electricity into motion and an engine turns a chemical reaction into motion. But, I will never call a motor mount an engine mount, because no one would know what I'm talking about.

However, the word generator could refer to an assembly of an engine and what boils down to a motor run in reverse or it could refer to simply the motor that runs in reverse to generate power like in older cars before the day of the alternator.

Semantics and language are fun...
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

While I generally agree with the motor-engine definitions......Why then is the company called General Motors?

1997 GMC

6. Likes JTWard liked this post
    I live just south of Philadelphia, small community that sits on the Delaware River.

Default Word Wisdom ?

A Lot of Folks . . . always tend to use 30 words when only 3 are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
    While I generally agree with the motor-engine definitions......Why then is the company called General Motors?
    Hahaha. Never thought about that.

Sr. Apprentice

According to my opinion,,
    Motor is a that device which changes electrical energy into mechanical energy,but engine is a that device, which converts chemical energy and heat energy into mechanical energy and gives some electrical energy as well. and generator generates power by converting the chemical energy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JTWard View Post
    Well the English language has 350.000 words in it, but on average, we only use about 10.000 in our entire lives ? This is why it's so hard for other of different ethnic backgrounds to learn it.
    Really? That's an interesting factoid.

Quote Originally Posted by marksoldtowne View Post
    According to my opinion,,
    Motor is a that device which changes electrical energy into mechanical energy,but engine is a that device, which converts chemical energy and heat energy into mechanical energy and gives some electrical energy as well. and generator generates power by converting the chemical energy as well.
    Technically ... the engine turns the serpentine belt ... which turns the alternator ... which makes electrical energy. So the mechanical energy is turned into electrical energy with the alternator.