GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default reverse lights don't work

Hi,

the reverse lights in my 02 Silverado do not function. The bulbs are good, but they have not worked since I bought the truck 6 months ago. I read somewhere that there is a switch on the side of the transmission that controls the signal to the reverse lights.

Any wisdom would be appreciated. I have finally learned I don't have to do everything the hard way, why not ask for advice first!

thanks, Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by ryfish View Post
    Hi,

the reverse lights in my 02 Silverado do not function. The bulbs are good, but they have not worked since I bought the truck 6 months ago. I read somewhere that there is a switch on the side of the transmission that controls the signal to the reverse lights.

Any wisdom would be appreciated. I have finally learned I don't have to do everything the hard way, why not ask for advice first!

thanks, Ryan
    I am pulling one out of @99'HEARTBEAT 's book and posting a diagram. It is #9 on the diagram. Gm part# 24229422. Gmpartsclub.com has it for $49.28 I would verify the part number before ordering it, but that should be it.
    Last edited by Pikey; 10-30-2013 at 12:13 AM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

3. Likes 99'HEARTBEAT liked this post

Yep, it could be the tranny switch, but it could also be a bad fuse, a broken wire, a loose connection, etc. A number of areas could be the problem. The proper procedure is to check voltage along the circuit.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ryfish View Post
    Hi,

thanks, Ryan
    before doing these type repairs checking the lamps first then checking the fuses. this is how to proceed. then using a forum like this you will get the help needed to repair this.

the issue is not the reverse lights. the issue is the backup lights. this is fed by the BU fuse. this feed then goes to the transmission switch. then this goes to the rear of the vehicle to the connector where all the rear lamps interface . so with a voltmeter begin the process to find the open circuit.

since the rear lights use the same ground that should be good...