GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Default Oil Filters to avoid with NNBS 5.3L engines.

I have pretty much used AC Delco oil filters on both of my NNBS Silverados (AC PF48) since I owned them. I have been an OEM oil filter guy even when I owned an Explorer(Motorcraft FL-820S).

After doing some reading it appears that AC Delco is headed to make ALL their oil filters those el-cheapo E-cores. When/if that happens I will no longer use AC Delco oil filters. My last trip to Walmart it looked like all the AC Delco oil filters besides the PF48 were E-cores.

My question is are there any filters to avoid using on the 5.3L engines. Reason I ask is that when I had my 1998 Chevy C1500 with the 4.3L engine if I used certain filters the engine would rattle when I started it. The problem went away as soon as I put an AC Delco PF52 on it.

Now there are some over at Bob is the Oil Guy that say that AC Delco classic oil filters are only good for ~5K miles and if you want to get the most out of your synthetic oil to run a filter like a Fram Ultra, Mobil 1, Purolator PureOne, K&N, etc.

Just wanted others thoughts on the matter.

Thanks.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

2. Likes Enkeiavalanche liked this post
    Legend

reports are that you should not use E core filters . good for re-cycling bad when they explode !

Well since the change intervals are typically longer now with synthetic fluids and newer vehicles I would just look at a decent filter with the silicone anti drain back valve and synthetic media. Dont go for the cheap economy filter but doesnt need to be a 15 dollar filter either. Look at WIX or Napa gold (wix), fram toughguard or higher.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Legend
    Blog Entries

I have always used Fram Ultra or Toughguard, and have never had a problem.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    reports are that you should not use E core filters . good for re-cycling bad when they explode !
    My thoughts exactly, they have that plastic cage instead of a perforated metal tube. IMO, this would be disastrous if a chunk of media tore off and slipped in-between the plastic cage and went into the engine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    I have always used Fram Ultra or Toughguard, and have never had a problem.
    The only Fram I would even consider is the Ultra which has metal end caps. All the rest of the Frams use cheap fiber end caps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    Well since the change intervals are typically longer now with synthetic fluids and newer vehicles I would just look at a decent filter with the silicone anti drain back valve and synthetic media. Dont go for the cheap economy filter but doesnt need to be a 15 dollar filter either. Look at WIX or Napa gold (wix), fram toughguard or higher.
    I've read the same thing. As far as a silicone ADBV vs. nitrile rubber, I think that argument is highly overrated. The AC Delco oil filters have a nitrile rubber and they work well.

I was thinking of getting a Fram Ultra filter for my next oil change.

Im trying to figure out how the vehicles DIC determines when your oil should be changed.. I changed my oil at 3985 miles with Mobil 1 synthetic. I reset my DIC and I now have 11,450 and it still says I have 12% (+ or - 2%)oil life left. That is almost 7500 miles and still has more to go.. Im changing it now because 7500 is my comfort level on a synthetic oil change but how does the truck know what im using for oil? Is it determined by trip length and rpm's over the course of the trips? Is 8000 miles the preset oil change increment now a days with all oil? I dont know but my 03 escalades oil change interval was about 5500 miles before that was at about 0% oil life left.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    Im trying to figure out how the vehicles DIC determines when your oil should be changed.. I changed my oil at 3985 miles with Mobil 1 synthetic. I reset my DIC and I now have 11,450 and it still says I have 12% (+ or - 2%)oil life left. That is almost 7500 miles and still has more to go.. Im changing it now because 7500 is my comfort level on a synthetic oil change but how does the truck know what im using for oil? Is it determined by trip length and rpm's over the course of the trips? Is 8000 miles the preset oil change increment now a days with all oil? I dont know but my 03 escalades oil change interval was about 5500 miles before that was at about 0% oil life left.
    Apparently the DIC has algorithms that take into account:

engine RPMs
    engine temperature
    ambient temperature
    engine on-off intervals

After the DIC crunches some numbers it comes up with your OCI.

Now the DIC has no idea if you are using Mobil 1 or Supertech conventional. The DIC for the newer trucks is programmed to assume you are using dexos licensed oil.

My 2013 Silverado it wants me to change the oil at ~8200 miles. Since I run Mobil 1 that is a reasonable figure.

My girlfriend has a 2013 Malibu with the 2.5L engine. She bought the 3 years scheduled maintenance from the dealer and they want her to come back and change the oil and filter every 4K miles. I personally think that is too soon, but since it is all part of the package, let them do it more often.

For me, I am going to get a used oil analysis from Blackstone and see how everything is doing oil wise. I normally change the oil and filter every 6K using Mobil 1, but I want to see if I am doing it too soon.

Cool, Yeah I kind of figured it must do some sort of number crunching. Keep us posted on what info you get with the oil analysis. I would be interested in knowing what they can tell you from a forensic analysis (like csi can they tell if your trucks a female or male chevy or ford pregnant or not )

10. Likes Enkeiavalanche liked this post
    Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Very good Read I'm getting the oil changed in the next few days Just put some Seafoam in the Crank case... Good info..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I am trying to find the GM Bulletin about the E-core filters. I read one a few days ago that said that said that they will continue to make both the e-core and classic. Whatever the case. I am going to order a bunch of the classic from amazon. They are $4 there.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by