GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1991 s10 enigine swap to 350

OK i'm looking for some good advice here.
    I'm looking to take my 1991 Chevy s10 and swap my 2.8 v6 for a 350. it is a 5speed and im looking to keep it that way when i swap over.
    What i would like to know is, what all do i need to complete this swap and make sure that the truck will run this motor with no problems?
    One big question is what transmission am i looking for to bolt up to the motor? any help would be appreciated.

Well if you are trying to keep it as close to OEM as possible you may be able to use your transmission on a 350. I noticed from the wiki article about your NV3500 transmission was used in 91-06 silverado's but that may be with the 4.3L v6 not the v8's.

here's Hamburger's "kit in a box" from jegs which is prob the direction i'd be leaning if i had the crate motor but no accessories. but also be scouring the internet like crazy trying to read other peoples S10 w/ 350 conversion blogs (of which i could find none at the moment) to get as much info on successes/troubles to be foreseen.

Are you going with a junkyard restoration, crate motor, or?

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

check out http://www.advanceadapters.com/ they make all the Adp's you will need
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by drwombat View Post
    Well if you are trying to keep it as close to OEM as possible you may be able to use your transmission on a 350. I noticed from the wiki article about your NV3500 transmission was used in 91-06 silverado's but that may be with the 4.3L v6 not the v8's.

here's Hamburger's "kit in a box" from jegs which is prob the direction i'd be leaning if i had the crate motor but no accessories. but also be scouring the internet like crazy trying to read other peoples S10 w/ 350 conversion blogs (of which i could find none at the moment) to get as much info on successes/troubles to be foreseen.

Are you going with a junkyard restoration, crate motor, or?
    " Im going to try and buy a used 350 and rebuild it"

Basically you wanna change most of the drivetrain stuff. Look up some 5 speed transmissions for 350's like the t-56.
    Here's a little something right here

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/s10-5-speed-chevy-350-a-159923.html

Should get a new rear end too and if you're pushing a good amount of power a strong driveshaft would be worth it. Just beef up all of that stuff and you will be set.
    95 S10 LS 5 speed ext cab 2wd "work truck"
    3/3 static _ Spectre Air Filter _ Punched out cat _ Glasspack>

99 S10 Xtreme 3rd door, 5 speed 4.3 VIN W
    Hurst Short Throw Shifter _
    American Racing wheels (275/60/15; 215/70/15) _ Sub/Amp/Stereo _ TB Mod>

I'm pretty sure The 2.8 transmission has a different bolt pattern than that of the 4.3v6 and the v8's as the 2.8 v6 is a 60* and not a 90* engine like the v8. I'm sure a local tranny shop can confirm or even someone else on her
    Chuckie!!!