GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default buying a yukon - questions about mileage and maintenence

Hope you guys can help me out. I'm in the market for a used yukon, burb, or tahoe. Should I be concern with high mileage? What sort of maintenance should I be looking for? timing belt, component(s) change, etc.

Thanks
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 11-03-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brutmax View Post
    Hope you guys can help me out. I'm in the market for a used yukon, burb, or tahoe. Should I be concern with high mileage? What sort of maintenance should I be looking for? timing belt, component(s) change, etc.

Thanks
    How old are you looking at?

My biggest concern would be did the previous owner take care of it.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

I was looking at 01 thru 06. So as long as the previous owner has taken care of it I shouldn't have to worry too much than. Any major things I should look out for?

Quote Originally Posted by brutmax View Post
    I was looking at 01 thru 06. So as long as the previous owner has taken care of it I shouldn't have to worry too much than. Any major things I should look out for?
    That's my problem, how do you know the previous owner took care of the vehicle?

Are you looking at a 4WD model?

As far as problem areas, if a vehicle has been well maintained it will be OK. If I were you I would buy as new as possible. I don't know what used Yukons are going for, but a lot of dealers are clearing our left over 2013 Tahoe and Yukons. The dealer by me is advertising $10,000 off MSRP on a left over 2013 Tahoe.

Both yukon xl's that I have had have had front diff issues. Look for broken or missing exhaust manifold bolts. The stepper motors on the instrument clusters are known to go bad. I know that the 03 was well maintained as I got the records and know the owner of the shop that did it. The 05 I bought from a used car dealer, so who knows.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Yeah. 2wd or 4wd? What engine? How many miles? Are you looking for something bare bones or with some add ons?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.