GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Buying tires online? (Are savings to be had?)

Hey guys, I know that on my motorcycle board we typically buy our tires online for substantial savings with web only retailers.

Being that automotive tires market must 100's of times larger than the bike market, is there any savings to be had online with tires?

If so, are they from the usual suspects (discount tire, pepboys, etc.) seasonally? or are there any small retailers (sponsors?) with savings to be had.

Im just looking for OEM 16" tires on my silverado. nothing fancy, just curious whats out there.

Depending on what you want Tirerack.com which is a sponsor here has great deals and rebates. The hard part is getting them shipped and mounted. Shipping can cost close to $100

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Master Mechanic

Firestone Auto Care is the cheapest I found to mount, at 35 dollars for all four. For tires I would only look around holidays as many either give you great rebates or free shipping
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

I would think the tire market to be fairly competitive, shipping handling, mounting balance and valve stems, I would never order that way myself, but I have a couple of buddies that wont purchace the conventional way of walking into a store and making a purchase for a set of tires, I do try to support the local business as much as I can and try to avoid the bigger chains, but sometimes its all about the money, it will be interesting to see how this thread pans out, I might learn something new today.
    Life is short compared to history

Rick (summitwhite11)

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I buy my tires used off of Craigslist. I pay anywhere from $149-200 for 4 and if they last me 1 1/2 summers then well worth it.. My winter tires are still what came with my truck back in 08....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

... moved to Wheels & Tires ...

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

You can save quite a bit of cash buying tires online, the problem is that your savings are eaten up by shipping and mounting/balancing.

With this being said, you can save a lot of money if you buy complete wheels and tires as Tirerack will mount and balance them for you.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

My observations is that it often comes out in the wash. It is true that online retailers advertise a much lower price per tire, but after you pay for shipping, then a separate mounting and balance at your local tire shop, you have not saved anything (at which point, I personally prefer to support my local economy). Most tire shops that I've seen will also provide lifetime flat repair, balancing, rotations, etc. when you buy new tires from them (which they often won't include if you buy the tires elsewhere then have them do the mount and balance).
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

The local tire shops by me you can get things like free road hazard, lifetime balance and rotation. You cannot get that with online tire buying.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    The local tire shops by me you can get things like free road hazard, lifetime balance and rotation. You cannot get that with online tire buying.
    You can get Lifetime balance and rotation if you get Tirerack tires and have them mounted at Sears Autocenter. I did that for my truck and it was worth it. I also have what every the Tirerack warranty is with the Sears one.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast