GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Sr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    37

    Default The MPG Gain Thread

    This is the place to post the ways you have tested to get better mpg, or any non tested methods, lets hear them all.
    2001 Silverado LS LT LT 4.8 rwd. Last fillup 24.56 mpg imp in city only.

  2. #2

    Default

    The best way to gain MPG is to drive the speed limit if you have a 4 speed because you have only one over drive gear. While 6 speed trucks can travel faster because they have 2 over drive gears but get equal MPG. On my 96' I can get 21MPG US on the highway when going 55, but I lose like .2 MPG per every MPH faster I go.

    Warning to the starter to this thread sometimes they can get very opinionated.

    1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

    Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

  3. #3

    Default

    My z71 was getting 16.7, it was depressing for a while, untill I saw what others were getting around here, I did switch to nitro fill in my tires, I was not fishing for better mpg in doing so,I did it becaue of all the perks that come with that. however it did make an improvment. same tire pressure, 35 psi all around on the factory 18's, my mpg went to 17.1. that is not huge, but it did give me a happy face. I cant swear nitrogen in the tires did it, but that is the only change I made in the past two months other than wheel well liners and some graphics, I would sound like a whack job giving the credit to those, lol.
    Life is short compared to history

    Rick (summitwhite11)

  4. #4

    Default

    I started running Tc-w3 marine 2 cycle oil in my fuel in March. I add one ounce to every 5 gallons of gas. The truck runs and idles smoother than it ever did. The slight fuel pump buzz I had is now gone. The oil is supposed to lube everything, fight corrosion, and clean the ring packs. I was getting 15.4 mpg in the city before I started using it. Now I get a consistent 17.4mpg in the city. My dad started running it in his Avalanche and Saturn Vue last month and has also noticed a smoother idle and increased mpg. I just bought a bottle of injector cleaner and dumped it into my wife's van. Then I poured one ounce at a time of the Tc-W3 into the bottle marking each ounce with a sharpie on the bottle. I started with a fuel tank of gas (31 gallons) and dumped 6 ounces in. If I stop and put 10 gallons in, I dump 2 ounces in and refill my bottle when I get home. Like I said I have been doing it since March and have not finished my first gallon of oil. I stopped using it for 2 tanks of fuel because I thought I screwed up my mixture. My mpg returned to 15.4.

    1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

    2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

  5. #5

    Default

    I know people will argue with me, but the best way to get better fuel economy is to use the friggin cruise control. This is especially important on long trips.

    People will blab that they are "better" at controlling engine RPMs or "I want to be in control", blah, blah. Studies have shown using cruise control can net people 7-14% better fuel economy. Cruise is on there, you paid for it, use it.

    2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab


    Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

  6. Likes zuki82 liked this post
  7. #6
    Sr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    The best way to gain MPG is to drive the speed limit if you have a 4 speed because you have only one over drive gear. While 6 speed trucks can travel faster because they have 2 over drive gears but get equal MPG. On my 96' I can get 21MPG US on the highway when going 55, but I lose like .2 MPG per every MPH faster I go. Warning to the starter to this thread sometimes they can get very opinionated.
    Your right on both counts, my driving I 99% in city so I use rolling starts at the reds and coasting, they both work well.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I started running Tc-w3 marine 2 cycle oil in my fuel in March. I add one ounce to every 5 gallons of gas. The truck runs and idles smoother than it ever did. The slight fuel pump buzz I had is now gone. The oil is supposed to lube everything, fight corrosion, and clean the ring packs. I was getting 15.4 mpg in the city before I started using it. Now I get a consistent 17.4mpg in the city. My dad started running it in his Avalanche and Saturn Vue last month and has also noticed a smoother idle and increased mpg. I just bought a bottle of injector cleaner and dumped it into my wife's van. Then I poured one ounce at a time of the Tc-W3 into the bottle marking each ounce with a sharpie on the bottle. I started with a fuel tank of gas (31 gallons) and dumped 6 ounces in. If I stop and put 10 gallons in, I dump 2 ounces in and refill my bottle when I get home. Like I said I have been doing it since March and have not finished my first gallon of oil. I stopped using it for 2 tanks of fuel because I thought I screwed up my mixture. My mpg returned to 15.4.
    Pikey will any 2 cycle oil work or just the tc-w3 stuff? I use efs in my Silverado but I would like to test that in my tracker.

  8. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Parkrat View Post
    Your right on both counts, my driving I 99% in city so I use rolling starts at the reds and coasting, they both work well.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Pikey will any 2 cycle oil work or just the tc-w3 stuff? I use efs in my Silverado but I would like to test that in my tracker.
    It has to be the marine Tc-w3. It has the additive package that works best for vehicles. google "Tc-W3 ls1" the first thing that should come up will be a forum thread about it. It is some 52 pages long. I would start at the first page and give it a short read (unless you have a bunch of spare time on your hands, in that case read it all and give me the cliff notes version)

  9. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    I know people will argue with me, but the best way to get better fuel economy is to use the friggin cruise control. This is especially important on long trips.

    People will blab that they are "better" at controlling engine RPMs or "I want to be in control", blah, blah. Studies have shown using cruise control can net people 7-14% better fuel economy. Cruise is on there, you paid for it, use it.
    If you live out in the sticks, where all the roads are 55 MPH, then it's great. If most of your driving is local roads in urban/suburban areas, and travel only short trips on the highway, cruise control probably isn't going to help much. Here for example, there's usually enough traffic on the highway for the short amount of time I ever spend on it, that cruise control isn't really usable, as I end up having to hit the brakes every now and again, due to people not knowing where they're going, or how to drive in the correct lanes.

  10. #9

    Default

    The only thing I really do is keep my tires aired up. I run 45 psi in my tires and I have noticed about 1.5 mpg gain over the recommended 35 psi.

    I'd definitely like to hear more about this 2-cycle oil in the fuel.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

  11. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    The only thing I really do is keep my tires aired up. I run 45 psi in my tires and I have noticed about 1.5 mpg gain over the recommended 35 psi.
    Running your tires over-inflated will get you better MPG, but will also result in increased tire wear, decreasing the life of the tire. The best pressure to run at, is where pressure and fuel economy are in balance for the load you're hauling. If your truck is empty, you'll want lower pressure. If the bed is loaded, you'll want increased pressure, mostly on the rear, and maybe a few PSI up front if necessary. If you're towing, you'll want increased pressure in the rear for the increased load, and depending on the rear load, you may need to actually decrease the tire pressure up front slightly from normal, if it causes a decreased load from normal in the front (due to slight body lift up front from the tongue weight in the rear).

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •