GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sr. Apprentice

Given it snowed 6 inches last week most of the marine oil is off the shelf and all I could get was mystik 2 cycle outboard tc-w3 synthetic, hope its the right stuff cause it was 8 cans a liter, put some in the tracker and topped it up, interesting to see what happens.
    2001 Silverado LS LT LT 4.8 rwd. Last fillup 24.56 mpg imp in city only.

As long as it is Tc-w3 then you are good. 8 cans a liter. Like $8 a liter? That is crazy. I get full synthetic Penzoil for $22 a gallon. I have not finished a gallon yet and I have been putting it in every fill up since March

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Sr. Apprentice

Yup $8 a liter, the 4 liter jug was 25.99 so ill test it and see how it holds up against the efs, I get efs for $23 for a 450 ml jug and get a 5-6 mpg gain, ill see what I get for mpg with the tc-w3 and compare there costs.
    2001 Silverado LS LT LT 4.8 rwd. Last fillup 24.56 mpg imp in city only.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkrat View Post
    Yup $8 a liter, the 4 liter jug was 25.99 so ill test it and see how it holds up against the efs, I get efs for $23 for a 450 ml jug and get a 5-6 mpg gain, ill see what I get for mpg with the tc-w3 and compare there costs.
    That is not all that bad. That is just over a gallon. I know that some of the Canadian taxes are pretty high. A friend of mine has a cottage on Georgian bay. Nearly every time he goes up he takes a few gallon jugs of Mobile 1 for the neighbors. Because it cost them so much for it there.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I recently posted in the MPG thread that I made 27 mpg on my last fill up. And it was suggested that folks here might be interested on what I've done to get this mpg. So here goes. My truck is an 07 Sierra Classic with the 4.3L and a 5 speed manual. I've added a tonneau cover, headers, exhaust system, MSD coil, computer tune, CAI, underdrive pulleys, a short throw shift kit, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, tires are run at 50lbs. I'm also considering a cam kit from Comp Cams or Lunati, but holding off for more input from members. I use hypermiling techniques and a ScanGuage II. If any one is interested about hypermiling techniques, take a look at www.cleanmpg.com . They are mostly about small vehicles but us truck types are welcomed. The site has a good primer on hypermiling. It's a long read but well worth your time.
    When I needed replacement tires I went with a set of low rolling resistance tires. After experimenting with different brands of fuel I have been using Phillips. It seems to have helped and I've picked up at least 1-1.5 mpg's after comparing my numbers to the same time as last year.
    Last edited by Goldie; 11-11-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: mispelling, added info

I get better mpg now lifted than I ever did leveled and on 33's...but the tune and 4.10 gears might help!
    Stock tires leveled- 20mpg
    285's leveled- averaged 14-16 depending on environment
    33's leveled-13...
    35's, 6" lift, stock gears-12..
    35's 6" lift, 4.10 gears, tune, 40 psi(usually haul stuff)-17 mpg. I'll take it all day long!!

I'm going to try a custom intake and see what I can gain. I will try and get some numbers for everyone.
    2009 Silvia~Superlift 6"~DropStars~Nitto Trail Graps~FSOR Catback~Madtunes Racing~4.10 gears~cleared headlights~hi-6

NNBS SILVERADO BUILD

My latest improvement was getting new tires. I went with Cooper At3 LT265/70R16 10 ply on my '03 3/4 ton Suburban. The tires that were on it when I bought it were 285/75R16 6 ply. I was getting an average of 11-11.5 mpg. It went to 12.5 and the highway went from a max 14 mpg @ 65mph to around 16 or 17 @ 75-80 mph. Last year I drove to Texas from PA (1500 miles each way) and back and did it again this year but with smaller tires. It made a great improvement considering I put over 3k miles in a week and a half.
    My other tested and proved method of getting better fuel milage was running ethanol free fuel- 91 octane. The 6.0l idled smoother, had more power and it was an easy 2-3 mpg increase. Unfortunatly it is not at every gas station and I can't always get to the station that has it.
    By the way, the 265/70r16 are the same dia. as stock size 245/75r16 but almost an inch wider and look a whole lot better under the Suburban unlike the pizza cutter 245/75s.
    2003 Suburban 2500 LT, 6.0l Volant cai. 3.73 gear. Mobil 1 syn oil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12