GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Default Sleeping in Suburban -how can I cool it?

We are driving from New Orleans to Flagstaff AZ Saturday. We will sleep in the back at a rest stop along Hy 287 Around Quanah,Chillcothe, Childress. The high on Saturday in that area is going to be 100.
    Last trip it was much, much cooler, so we didn't have to run the motor much to run the AC. This time it looks like there is no way to not run the AC. It will be for 6 hours -about 4 gallons $17 or so.

Any ideas on how to cool it without using the AC ? A swamp cooler won't work ;the humidity is too high . Those tiny fan/ice chest coolers won't work. I'm considering bringing lots of ice , putting it in freezer bags ,and placing the bags close to us while we sleep. I even considered hauling a window ac and a 3500 watt generator (too heavy ,too bulky ).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Charlie

PS -A motel is out ; they are about $80 even in those small worn out looking towns near the panhandle.
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

I don't know how much air flow you're looking to get, but maybe something like this will help.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=155899

Me, personally, 100 degrees is enough for me to just stay home or spend the $80 on a room. I hate the heat.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

ct9a -thanks for the tip . Next trip I might get one of those fans.I have a 12 v fan, but It isn't any great shakes.

100 degrees is the projected high Sat- it is supposed to get down to 73 or so Sunday am (about 5 am probably). The problem with that is it will be about 80 degrees with very high humidity when we stop at midnight.

I have a 2 part plan - leave earlier and try to get farther west and norht.Amarillo projects 84/63 Sat -much better despite being only about 150 miles WNW of Quanah. The second part is filling gallon freezer bags with ice and placing them in towels close to us with the fan on.

I suspect that we will have to go to the 250 hp AC before the night is over.

Thanks,
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Yeah, I'd just find a cheap place to stay in if it's going to be that hot. Even 80's would be uncomfortable over night since it'll take awhile to cool down. Add that to the cost and trouble of carrying around extra fans, AC, power, etc. The motel sounds better and better!

2009 GMC Sierra Denali AWD

Legend

Yeah, a room isn't such a bad idea; you get to take a shower etc, and that is nice. The downside is the $80 ,and my wife insists that I unload everything so it won't get ripped off. The unloading is a big pain-at least 15 minutes since some of the items are ropped onto the carrier. I have to relaod in the am also.

It might very well come to a room or the 250 hp AC- probably the 250 HP AC, but it would be worth $15 just to shower after driving all day across 95-100 TX and Louisiana.

Thanks,
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

There is a motel in Memphis, which is just a few miles past Childress, called the Cactus Motel. I stayed there last year and I think it was around 35-40 per person per night. Not a luxury place, but a bed, ac and a shower, oh and trains going by every few hours. It's right on 287.

http://www.cactusmoteltx.com/

I would be concerned idling the truck that long. It's one of the worst things you can do to an engine.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

leave earlier and try to get farther west and norht.Amarillo projects 84/63 Sat -much better despite being only about 150 miles WNW of Quanah
    If I would have anticipated that you were willing to try to go farther, this would have been my first suggestion. Higher altitude and lower humidity is sometimes all it takes to make sleeping more comfortable.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

I've seen pickups with air conditioners mounted in the slider window!
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I would be concerned idling the truck that long. It's one of the worst things you can do to an engine.
    I'm not debating your point, but don't police cars spend most of their life idling? Hell, even the new GMC,Chevy, and Ford trucks have hourmeters now.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

you can usually idle a truck for about 30 min to 45 mins and use only a tank of gas. however, i had to pick up my boyfriend's car with him from El Paso, Tx, and he drove most of the night and then i drove the rest and we took turns sleeping. we made it from El Paso, Tx to California in one night. that way, you can spend time together, but then one can also sleep and you don't have to spend money on a motel or worry about sleeping in the heat. just an idea.
    STEPHANIE
    Los Angeles, California
    2004 Trailblazer (DJM drop kit, K&N air intake, 18' Kaotic Wheels, full system with Sirius and also custom
    sub installed for cleaner look, tint all the way around, JBA exhaust...still looking for more to do)

Had until it was stolen:
    1990 lowered Chevy Silverado
    Also Have:
    2002 Chevy Suburban
    1992 Chevy S-10
    1955 Chevy Bel Air
    sad to say: also a 1991 Ford F-250

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast