GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default bad lower shock mounts with leveling kit

Do the lower shock mounts ever go bad? I'm having a slight klunking noise on some bumps. I just replace everything except the upper and lower control arm bushings. How do I test them and how would I replace them seeing they are pressed into the lower control arm?

I have seen the shock bushings go bad often. I always have someone bounce on the bumper while I lay under the truck looking at the bushing. It could be the intermediate shaft.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Will there be up and down play? I can take the shock and twist it from side to side but the bushing moves along. Steering shaft is greased and the popping noise/feeling is gone. With this noise I don't feel it in the steering.

- - - Updated - - -

It almost sounds like a ball joint or sway bar link. But that's all new.

Quote Originally Posted by 03 SIERRA View Post
    Will there be up and down play? I can take the shock and twist it from side to side but the bushing moves along. Steering shaft is greased and the popping noise/feeling is gone. With this noise I don't feel it in the steering.

- - - Updated - - -

It almost sounds like a ball joint or sway bar link. But that's all new.
    There should be no play at all. You should not be able to twist it back and forth. With The bushings that I have seen go bad, the metal sleeve usually that the bolt goes thru opens up at the seem or the entire thing oblongs. Some parts stores may have the lower bushings. Many times when you bounce the front bumper you will see the entire shock move up and down on the bushing

Since the rubber is soft enough to twist, the metal slave is probably oblonged and that's probably the knunk I hear. Any tips on replacing them?

Quote Originally Posted by 03 SIERRA View Post
    Since the rubber is soft enough to twist, the metal slave is probably oblonged and that's probably the knunk I hear. Any tips on replacing them?
    I am sure that others will have suggestions. I usually pull out the metal tube. or press it out with a c-clamp and a couple sockets. Then I pull or press out the rubber. When installing the new one, just grease the rubber and slide it in, then grease the sleeve and push it in.

i finally got back on here, it was my lower shock mounts. I did them on my lift at work. i was able to air chisel out the bad on as it was clunking and breaking itself free. the other one i had to use a ball joint press. to get them back in i left them in the freezer for a day greased them and hit them right in with with a dead blow.