GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default pros and cons of leaf spring helpers

Please I need to get some insite on the best and worst spring helpers. I am looking at the bolt on type for my 1991 V1500 1/2 ton. It has been suggested that my original springs are sagging and I can not afford a new set right now.

are you referring to air bags or add-a-leafs, or something else? An add-a-leaf would probably be your easiest and cheapest method to reduce the sagging. Essentially what you are doing is dissasembling the leaf pack and adding another leaf in. Hope this helps
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

No, no air bags.....Just bolt on helpers/add-a-leaf.....I am hoping that I can use one that will not require me to un-bolt the rear axle from the leaf. I found one from Superior that bolts to the bottom back half of the leaf. The problem I am finding is that this paticular one is rated for a light truck. I do not see my 1/2 ton 4X4 as a light truck.

Only real negative with add a leaf is that unloaded ride quality will normally suffer. Harsher ride, maybe some rear axle hop on uneven surfaces, etc.

Check out activesuspension.com. I had 'em on my old Tahoe. No negative side effects, improved handling, and even easier to install.

2009 GMC Sierra Denali AWD

Fabtech has a decent AAL. Usually 4Wheelparts wholesale has the best price for Fabtech parts.

i would say look for an add-a-leaf too. and our trucks are considered "light" trucks
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

Blog Entries

I put an Add-a-leaf on my 87 Blazer because of saggy springs. Inexpensive fix for sure!
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.