GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: charging ac

Default charging ac

im trying to charge my ac in my 88 GMC, its after market 134a,put in one 12oz can and clutch comes on and off no cool air put second can in have cool air but the clutch still goes on and off. low side is 30-40 high side is 100. outside temp is 80 with a fan blowing in the condensor. i don't want to over fill it do i have an obstruction?

I don't know anything about ac systems. But where do you live that you're doing this now? Lol. Just an observation.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

This chart seems to be representative of what I see for 134a AC systems http://idqusa.com/faqs/r-134a-system-pressure-chart/ I've used this table when working on my own AC system, too, so I think it is right. According to this, it looks like you are still low on refigerant.

Have the stickers from the 134a retrofit survived? What do they say the max charge of 134a should be?
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

My 97 holds 2 lbs of refrigerant. I imagine yours is similar. My AC guy says adding using those cans is not the way to do it. He says, all refrigerant should be evacuated from the system, weighed and then you know exactly how much to put back in.

[B]1997 GMC