GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Chevy Silverado 2010 Differential Sound

Hi,

I own Chevy Silverado 2010 LT, Auto transmission.
    For last few days im hearing a humming sound from the front differential when the car is in auto.
    When i put it on 2WD there is no sound.

What can be the problem. i checked the fluid level its ok.

Any Suggestions?

Legend

as the vehicle ages you will get some sound from the front diff when in auto or 4wd. also a slight vib .

do not use this vehicle in any 4wd selection on dry solid pavement. this will cause damage to the drive train. only use 2wd high .

also be sure to rotate the tires often 10-13K miles to ensure they are all at the same wear .

Thanks J. Cat for the suggestion, I have new tires and I'm not a off road guy. The car is on 78,000km.

Any other thing which I can change and fix the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    as the vehicle ages you will get some sound from the front diff when in auto or 4wd. also a slight vib .

do not use this vehicle in any 4wd selection on dry solid pavement. this will cause damage to the drive train. only use 2wd high .

also be sure to rotate the tires often 10-13K miles to ensure they are all at the same wear .

Quote Originally Posted by Majed View Post
    Thanks J. Cat for the suggestion, I have new tires and I'm not a off road guy. The car is on 78,000km.

Any other thing which I can change and fix the problem?
    You can change the fluid in your front diff. You have about 50000 miles on it, so now would be a good time. I have an 05 with a new front diff and new transfer case. I get the same noise you describe in auto and in 4wd. I only use 4wd, I never use auto. I only use 4wd when there are 6+ inches of fresh snow.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend

the drive train fluids should be checked at every oil change for level and color.

when my silverado was new I had to replace the front diff fluid every 5,ooo miles 3X then the oil stayed clean. I was getting a discoloration of the oil. after that I replace at the 40,000 mi mark with just normal light duty trucking..

The vehicle the OP has is still under the 5 year 100K mile powertrain warranty. Take it to the dealer and let them look at it.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

I changed the fluid but still the same...

I will take it to the dealer but it will cost me fortune just to have checked up. :(

I changed the fluid but still the same...

I will take it to the dealer but it will cost me fortune just to have checked up. :(
    If you are under 100,000 miles it will be covered under power train warranty as @j cat mentioned.

sure i will give a try from the dealer.

Legend

sure i will give a try from the dealer.
    my guess is this is normal. have the dealership go with you for a short ride and most likely this will be just a normal sound with this in 4wd....

If your from canada you may have to pay .. with your mileage what drive train fluids have you replaced ? did you have the rear diff cover removed cleaned and the oil replaced .

normal hum from the rear diff is also the norm.... replacing the rear diff fluid and cleaning out the box/magnet causes the rear diff to work faster and more efficiently.

good luck ...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by