GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by

Seems logical......guess I'll be doing just that first thing in the morning. Damn thing is new as well.........
    I will get back with you/forum tomorrow. Thanx JT

I just re-read your original post and your post which is #9. What you describe is a working system.

Why do you think you have a circulation problem?
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GMANs95 View Post
    As far as I know there was no problem. (see my introductory post) When I got the truck the engine was shot. (spun bearings) I put a "new" reman 350 in it. Thermo is new...sensor is new, radiator is new. Thermostat is a 190.....and the temp reading is 2 notches below the printed 210 on the gauge.
    if the coolant temp is normal then you have flow thru the radiator. temp reads just below 210 deg f is dead on correct.

so the issue is the hard hose. this is normal the hose when the engine is hot should have about 10-15 psi of pressure in it. more pressure as the temp increases / or ac on........

if the hose was soft you would have no pressure then the coolant5 boils. when that happens your temp will spike up ward...water pump will not pump air bubbles..

Sorry for the late reply Ray.....Well if what I am described is a "normal system" then it makes me curious why I have no hot air in the cab.....my son put in a new heater core when he owned it, and the blower motor is blowin air..(not hot) the 2 hoses to the core are warm.......whats next?

- - - Updated - - -

I am just trying to sort things out......as I said in my introductory post I have a laundry list to sort out...I found out from my son that he had scavenged parts from this (my 95) to put on his 91 Chevy lowrider, so there is no telling what I am actually dealing with. I wasn't expecting much for 500.00. The 4 biggest issues at present are the wipers, heater, brake lights, and fixing whatever is killing the battery if i don't disco it. I think the wiper issue is the multi-function switch as I have no hazards or cruise either.

Legend

Sorry for the late reply Ray.....Well if what I am described is a "normal system" then it makes me curious why I have no hot air in the cab.....my son put in a new heater core when he owned it, and the blower motor is blowin air..(not hot) the 2 hoses to the core are warm.......whats next?

- - - Updated - - -

I am just trying to sort things out......as I said in my introductory post I have a laundry list to sort out...I found out from my son that he had scavenged parts from this (my 95) to put on his 91 Chevy lowrider, so there is no telling what I am actually dealing with. I wasn't expecting much for 500.00. The 4 biggest issues at present are the wipers, heater, brake lights, and fixing whatever is killing the battery if i don't disco it. I think the wiper issue is the multi-function switch as I have no hazards or cruise either.

if the heater is not putting out heat then this should have been in post #1.

the heater core hoses should both be hot. if warm then the heater core needs to be blown out / reversed flushed. after that run engine with pressure cap off so as to remove air bubbles. with a new engine this air bubble effect can cause the heater core not to flow properly. since the temp is correct on the gauge I would suspect the heater core is restricted...

You probably have air trapped in the heater core. Sometimes it can be hard to get out. Look at the hose fittings, can one be removed to let the air out? I've had luck parking on a steep hill (nose up), sometimes the air will move upward, into the rad.

I probably would have had I known it at the time.... I'll be sure to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    if the heater is not putting out heat then this should have been in post #1.

the heater core hoses should both be hot. if warm then the heater core needs to be blown out / reversed flushed. after that run engine with pressure cap off so as to remove air bubbles. with a new engine this air bubble effect can cause the heater core not to flow properly. since the temp is correct on the gauge I would suspect the heater core is restricted...

Legend

I probably would have had I known it at the time.... I'll be sure to check it.
    with a new engine/complete coolant removal this then increases the trapped air issues . this will create a poor heater temp ...could also be debris in engine gunked up heater core.

I live just south of Philadelphia, small community that sits on the Delaware River.

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    You probably have air trapped in the heater core. Sometimes it can be hard to get out. Look at the hose fittings, can one be removed to let the air out? I've had luck parking on a steep hill (nose up), sometimes the air will move upward, into the rad.
    Hay Ray, I wonder if the heater hoses are hooked up backwards ???? The upper heater hose coming out of the thermostat area of the intake manifold is the one that carries the hot coolant to the core, then in exits out the lower hose to the water pump , Am I right ? I always thought the lower heater core hose was the exit hose, ? been awhile since I put in a heater core ? Although I know from my Corvette, that GM coolant systems need to be burped before you close up the coolant system. If there's air in there the system will act like it's blocked ?

Both of the hoses to the core are HOT. What about environmental control panel? Since everything is damn near electronic. I have also just found that "cold air blows out the floor vent only. When I turn the temp dial to hot....and the selector knob to defrost (or any other position).... it still blows out the bottom (cold). Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    with a new engine/complete coolant removal this then increases the trapped air issues . this will create a poor heater temp ...could also be debris in engine gunked up heater core.
    - - - Updated - - -

I have to look but the one coming out of the intake area is the rightmost hose and the one to the wp is leftmost. Right? I will check this at lunchtime.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTWard View Post
    Hay Ray, I wonder if the heater hoses are hooked up backwards ???? The upper heater hose coming out of the thermostat area of the intake manifold is the one that carries the hot coolant to the core, then in exits out the lower hose to the water pump , Am I right ? I always thought the lower heater core hose was the exit hose, ? been awhile since I put in a heater core ? Although I know from my Corvette, that GM coolant systems need to be burped before you close up the coolant system. If there's air in there the system will act like it's blocked ?
    - - - Updated - - -

A side note....the blower doesn't work on high either. Resistor or relay?

- - - Updated - - -

I checked at lunch and the hose going to the water pump is the left most hose, and the one on the intake (rear) is the right hose.