GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    Default Is there something bent in my drive line?

    I noticed last night on the drive home that when going 30 MPH and giving it maintenance throttle that it seems as if the Driver side rear (may be passenger as well) moves up and down to give it a bouncing feel, but as soon as I let off the throttle it goes away completely. @30MPH I am in 3rd gear on a 700R4 Trans. Any ideas would be greatly appriciated.

  2. #2

    Default

    I normally look to u-joints and carrier first, curious, off road or street driving .
    Life is short compared to history

    Rick (summitwhite11)

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by summitwhite11 View Post
    I normally look to u-joints and carrier first, curious, off road or street driving .
    Street driving, but I have only owned the truck for about a month now and still finding issues with it. I checked the U-joints this past weekend for slop or excessive wear. I didnt really see anny but I will be replacing them soon when time and money is available. Thanks for the input, maybe I just over looked something.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fine Burban View Post
    Street driving, but I have only owned the truck for about a month now and still finding issues with it. I checked the U-joints this past weekend for slop or excessive wear. I didnt really see anny but I will be replacing them soon when time and money is available. Thanks for the input, maybe I just over looked something.
    I originally though about wheel/tire/shaft balance but then I read that it stops when you get off the throttle.
    Chuckie!!!


  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurbanMan View Post
    I originally though about wheel/tire/shaft balance but then I read that it stops when you get off the throttle.

    Yeah that is what I was thinking as well but it legitimatly feels as if the back end of the travels 1.5-2" up and down when maintaining speed arounf 30 MPH and 15 MPH since those are the the 2 speed limits on my way to and from work.

  6. #6

    Default

    Thinkin it would be worth swappin one tire/wheel at a time on the rear to prove there is no tread seperation or related wheel issues, its going to be a process of elimination anyway, balance is normally a vibration that will increase with speed,tread seperation will deliver vibration and or bounce.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by summitwhite11 View Post
    Thinkin it would be worth swappin one tire/wheel at a time on the rear to prove there is no tread seperation or related wheel issues, its going to be a process of elimination anyway, balance is normally a vibration that will increase with speed,tread seperation will deliver vibration and or bounce.
    I will experiment this weekend since I dont think I will have time durring the week to try that so I will keep this thread updated. Thanks for the idea.

  8. #8
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,468

    Default

    with the axles free to rotate check for bad bearings and axle U joints. check pinion bearing at the rear diff. check for rear wheel bearings to be tight also if bad these usually leak.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    with the axles free to rotate check for bad bearings and axle U joints. check pinion bearing at the rear diff. check for rear wheel bearings to be tight also if bad these usually leak.
    I just replaced the rear shoes and hardware kits in the drums and didnt notice any excessive play in either axle but I did not look at the pinion gear bearing.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by summitwhite11 View Post
    Thinkin it would be worth swappin one tire/wheel at a time on the rear to prove there is no tread seperation or related wheel issues, its going to be a process of elimination anyway, balance is normally a vibration that will increase with speed,tread seperation will deliver vibration and or bounce.
    if the tread were separating, he should be feeling that at all speeds. Week at first and more violent as speed increases. SHOULD being the key word lol

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •