GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Service 4wd

Default Service 4wd

From my research, this topic seems beaten to death, but I'm wondering the usual troubleshooting steps. I may not even need to troubleshoot further and might have found the problem, but thought I'd ask some of you guys. My "Service 4wd" light has come on. At first glance it doesnt seem to want to switch out of 2wd. The 2wd light was illuminated, but then the lights along the 4wd panel all went off, so none of the lights were illuminated. However, this morning I decided to turn the truck on and immediately push the Auto 4wd button while it was still illuminated, pushed it pretty hard, and then the indicator light switched over to Auto 4wd. So, its in Auto 4wd. Pushed hard again to switch it back to 2wd, and the indicator light sure enough went to 2wd. Then the indicator lights went off. So I knew it was in 2wd, but a quick glance you wouldnt be able to tell with the indicator light being off. I was able to reproduce this by shutting the truck off. Upon restart, I quickly pressed the 4wd buttons hard and it would switch, but then after a few more seconds the indicator light would go off. So, my first thought is this 4wd switch panel is bad or shorting out somewhere. But, I'm not sure. Any thoughts or ideas of next steps to troubleshoot/check?

1999 Silverado Z71
    265,000 miles

I know there were issues with the soldering on the switches so you might start there.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    I know there were issues with the soldering on the switches so you might start there.
    Thats what I'm thinking, since the lights are going on and off, and the buttons dont always want to work. It seems isolated to that panel, but was curious on any other ideas or if Im in the right direction.

Legend

with your problem and the age just replace this switch . if this occurred like my 2000 with 30,000miles on it I would say get the soldering iron out if your up to that type of electrical work.

I did the complete job in 45 min.. it just pops off.. new switch I think is 25-30 USD,,,

I took apart the dash again, took the 4wd switch panel out and the cover off so that you are looking at the system board. Theres a black rubber piece about 2.5-3 inches long that is used to trigger each setting when the buttons are depressed. Played with each 4wd setting by just pressing the rubber piece, and it worked flawlessly. So, the buttons and the plastic clear piece on the inside of the panel suck, basically. Replacing the switch panel this week.

Legend

with your mileage not bad if the switch failed now..like I stated before my switch crapped out at 30,000miles ! Jose did a very poor soldering job !

Quote Originally Posted by ol dude View Post
    I took apart the dash again, took the 4wd switch panel out and the cover off so that you are looking at the system board. Theres a black rubber piece about 2.5-3 inches long that is used to trigger each setting when the buttons are depressed. Played with each 4wd setting by just pressing the rubber piece, and it worked flawlessly. So, the buttons and the plastic clear piece on the inside of the panel suck, basically. Replacing the switch panel this week.
    now that you mention it this way I had a similar problem where I couldnt get it back into 2wd because the button just seemed real hard and didnt do anything. I ended up having a small piece of plastic that broke on that one switch and was keeping it from depressing far enough. pulled out the broke piece of plastic and it worked perfectly fine.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

I had a 99 that did this. I screwed with the switch several times and then finally just replaced it.
    I like all dogs I meet, and some people too.

My wife's Tahoe will only go in to 4wd or back in to 2wd if it is in neutral. Is that normal or is that a switch problem?
    Chuckie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BurbanMan View Post
    My wife's Tahoe will only go in to 4wd or back in to 2wd if it is in neutral. Is that normal or is that a switch problem?
    Not sure, but that sounds like more than just the switch. Do any or all of the indicator lights work as they should. If the switch were out I don't think it would work at all.
    2006 Silverado 1500 5.3L ecsb Z71,afe pro s dry air filter, color matched tailgate handle and bezel,color matched front bow tie, led interior illumination, 5000K HID lows, Black powder coated wheels, Blacked out body side moldings, Rough Country 2.5" level/lift kit, Magnaflow muffler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast