GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Air Conditioner Erratic Behavior.

Ok, so I have dodged the bullet with my wife on this long enough. So, randomly, when we are supposed to get heat, we get cold air. When we should get air, we get heat. One side will blow heat and the other cold air and then it switches. Then, sometimes it works perfectly fine. When I say I dodged the bullet, I mean all summer, it worked pretty much perfectly.

Generally the solution to the problem is not to turn the unit off and on, but to turn the entire vehicle off and on. If I do that, it usually fixes things up.

So, any ideas what the problem is, and is there a tutorial so a regular ole guy like myself can fix it?

Is it the actuator and if so, is that a relatively easy fix in terms of effort and parts cost?

Thanks!

Craig

what year is your truck?

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Usually a faulty actuator will cause a problem that does not change, or go away. For example, always getting heat out of the passenger side, or for example, the air only blows through the floor vents no matter where I place the mode control.

Your description sounds like your getting heat one day and air the next, then it will flip a few days later. That does not sound like one of the actuators.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is the control unit that is mounted in the dash.

Do you have the auto unit (set the temperature), or the manual unit where you slide, or turn temp knobs?
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Usually a faulty actuator will cause a problem that does not change, or go away. For example, always getting heat out of the passenger side, or for example, the air only blows through the floor vents no matter where I place the mode control.

Your description sounds like your getting heat one day and air the next, then it will flip a few days later. That does not sound like one of the actuators.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is the control unit that is mounted in the dash.

Do you have the auto unit (set the temperature), or the manual unit where you slide, or turn temp knobs?

I have the auto one.

Thanks!

Craig

Sr. Mechanic

My truck does this as well so I'm curious what you find out. Mine even when the air/heat is turned off the vents constantly put out some hot air. Also when i turn the a/c on most of the times it takes up to 5 minutes for the air to change from hot to cold.
    2004 GMC Sierra SLT 6.0L 4x4
    UWS Low Profile toolbox 10% tint front and over stock back tint
    AirAid MIT and K&N airfilter
    BlackBear Performance

Quote Originally Posted by craigola View Post
    I have the auto one.

Thanks!

Craig
    Any possibility of a buddy having the same truck and that he would let you swap his into yours for a quick test?