GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TPMS Issue ~ Battery Problem?

I searched and could not find a thread with the answer I was looking for. I have a 2008 Silverado 1500 and have had it brand new since Jan 2009. I have about 80k miles on the truck, a few months ago one of the tpms was reading 40-90psi. It was just jumping through that range constantly. Now it doesn't even read just has the "--" and I have the "Service Tire Pressure System" error all the time on my instrument panel. I called my local tire shop and they said that the battery probably went dead in the sensor. I have read that those batteries usually last for 10 years, has anyone had an issue like this? The TPMS is a royal pain anyway, I just hate seeing the light and the message whenever I drive.
    Dave V. -- Riverside, California
    Owner of --
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4.8Liter V8 engine 2WD w/Kenwood Double DIN CD/DVD Player
    1971 Chevrolet Chevelle 350ci V8 engine with 500+ horsepower (Still Under Construction)

it sounds like the battery died in the sensor. It stinks, but the entire sensor needs replaced.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I had a similiar issue in my 2011.. when My TPMS Error message was displayed my keyfob remote also did not work.. come to find out my 3rd brakelight was leaking and found the receiver module that runs the tpms and the remotes got wet. Even though I replaced the 3rd brake light with an aftermarket one GM covered it because there was a Service Bulletin stating that the stock brake light also leaked.. That module wasnt cheap.. I guess it was located in the rear of the cab, drivers side corner(crewcab) I remember when I put the aftermarket one in I was thinking the seal that came on the original (that I had to use on the aftermarket) was not all that great.. Then of course the mechanic just gooped it up with silicone and got it all over my roof and got grease on my door handles.. uugghhh.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Can you try to reprogram them? I forget how you do that in the Silverado, back in 2008 I think you can do it yourself.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

I'm having the same issue in '08 Silverado 4x4. It just started at about 80k miles. For now, I'm just living with the light and message on the display. I had a tire shop try to re-program it but it would not take. I guess the battery is dead. Does anybody know what those sensors cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Clunker View Post
    I'm having the same issue in '08 Silverado 4x4. It just started at about 80k miles. For now, I'm just living with the light and message on the display. I had a tire shop try to re-program it but it would not take. I guess the battery is dead. Does anybody know what those sensors cost?
    I think that it depends on what model you have. I was talking to a guy at the GM tech center about this a few days ago because I have one that acts erratic when it gets to be 7 degrees or below outside. He said that there are 3 different models of them. Mine runs $57.99. BUT, I called the local tire chain to see how much they charge to replace them. They told me $70 for the parts and install. Luckily, they always have a $20 off coupon on their website. So, I can get it done for $50

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

They look to be the same for a wide range of years. For 2008 they look like you can get then for $45.

http://www.gmpartsclub.com/oem-part/...earch_str=tpms

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD

That's cheaper than I expected. Thanks for the link!

There is a 25% off shipping code as well. I forget what it is, but that'll save a few $.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD

theyre actually only rated for about 5 years or 100,000 miles, go to a discount tire or something and theyll reset it for free, if not its just a dead battery like above stated
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR