GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by summitwhite11 View Post
    I hear what you are saying Pikey and J cat, there are a ton of special products out there for every tiny little thing, I am just an old school guy doing it like I have for 30 plus years, and it works for me. gumout , brake cleaner, wd 40, silicon lube, lithium grease, keep em serviced and keep em clean. Hey, I have a great idea, all you guys send me some of those new fang dangled cleaning and lube products, I will give them a test drive. lol. That would make for an awesome gift in one of the up and coming contest, one can always stand to win a big ole box of polish , cleaners, and lubes. ( Steve, I would not put any WD-40 in there if I were you,) lol.

I welcome all the feedback and input, afterall, I am here to learn, differences and all, heck I might even try some of the next generation speciality stuff out there. I am going to need more shelves for stuff.
    a specialty cleaner would be throttle body cleaner,MAF cleaner. these require the correct chemicals or you will damage the components.

carb cleaner should not be used on these engines. silicone is great for body chrome and exterior protection from de ice chemicals BUT !!! do not spray this when the engine is running as this product will damage the O2 sensors.

working in the transportation industry cleaning metal parts with rubber/plastics we used mineral spirits low odor paint thinner ...cheap and effective safe cleaning for you and the parts.

with the brake parts denatured alcohol..

I never used brake cleaner on the brake pads . used soap spray to capture the dust and a brush . never had any seals damaged or leak ..solvents around these parts can be tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    a specialty cleaner would be throttle body cleaner,MAF cleaner. these require the correct chemicals or you will damage the components.

carb cleaner should not be used on these engines. silicone is great for body chrome and exterior protection from de ice chemicals BUT !!! do not spray this when the engine is running as this product will damage the O2 sensors.

working in the transportation industry cleaning metal parts with rubber/plastics we used mineral spirits low odor paint thinner ...cheap and effective safe cleaning for you and the parts.

with the brake parts denatured alcohol..

I never used brake cleaner on the brake pads . used soap spray to capture the dust and a brush . never had any seals damaged or leak ..solvents around these parts can be tricky.
    Lol, you are old school J-cat! I have not heard of anyone else using denatured alcohol in a long time. I have a bottle of it in my garage. Friends come over and always ask what it is for

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Lol, you are old school J-cat! I have not heard of anyone else using denatured alcohol in a long time. I have a bottle of it in my garage. Friends come over and always ask what it is for
    with the brake units used , the use of this de-natured alcohol did work well to avoid the dangers of damaging the sensitive brake sensors used and seals. spray cans of cleaner would be not very economical with the size of these ..

I am talking about vehicles that would make are trucks look like toys..

In auto shop my teacher decided to have me spend a semester rebuilding wheel cylinders, master cylinders, and calipers (honing, cleaning, replacing parts) I went thru tons of denatured alcohol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12