GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default AC compressor issues????

'95 k2500 tbi 5.7
    So my compressor keeps clicking on and off repeatedly all the time. I haven't actually used the ac since I bought the truck but it has this issue when the heat is on and when the switch is turned to off.
    I feel this issue is killing my already poor MPG so any help will be appreciated.
    2003 Tahoe 4x4 blacked out with 5.3L and small lift.
    1995 K2500 Single cab 3" body lift...on its way to the grave soon.

I have to ask..... Is your HEAT on? Or is the system set for DEFROST? The defrost setting still uses the AC system to dry the air out before blowing it up onto the windshield to remove fog. Not sure if it would continue to activate the compressor when the system is set to off unless the AC system is low on Freon/coolant.
    csltrains96
    Myself, my beautiful wife
    3 - boys
    3 - minivans
    1 - '89 Chevy K2500 Silverado Truck
    1 - 27 foot travel trailer
    Not enough family time!

My understanding is that the compressor cycles even when AC is off, so that it doesnt seize up during the winter from lack of use.

1997 GMC

Quote Originally Posted by csltrains96 View Post
    I have to ask..... Is your HEAT on? Or is the system set for DEFROST? The defrost setting still uses the AC system to dry the air out before blowing it up onto the windshield to remove fog. Not sure if it would continue to activate the compressor when the system is set to off unless the AC system is low on Freon/coolant.
    It does it even when its off or but I have been using my defrost so maybe that can attribute to part of it I just don't think it should be doing it all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
    My understanding is that the compressor cycles even when AC is off, so that it doesnt seize up during the winter from lack of use.
    It does it when its on or off and its about every 3-5 seconds. If it is supposed to cycle I've never heard one do it so often.

Right by the accumulator dryer there should be a connector. This is your low freon switch. Take this connector off and short the two wires together with a paper clip. Start engine and turn a/c on. Does compressor stay on? If it does you just need to add freon.