GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2008 siverado speakers.

When my rear speakers stopped working I went on here for answers. Noticed most folks went to after market speakers. After doing some research for replacements I seen why.
    The lowest cost for replacements were over $100 each. That's $200+ tax or shipping.
    I wasn't interested in paying that much for the factory speakers. Especially when they are just going to go out again. Then I had to be concerned about the front going out.
    I did some research looking for replacements. Found a Audio shop close to me and gave em a visit.
    Well I ended up with 4 Alpine 6.5 speakers, a 1,000 IPP watt amp and a 12 inch subwoofer installed for $400
    There are better out there but this system rocks and at the price I am very happy.
    So if you are close to Fort Payne, Alabama let me know I'll hook ya up.

Legend

Blog Entries

Good choice on not going with factory replacements, especially given the cost (I had no idea they were that pricey). I got rid of my OEM speakers shortly after I bought my truck.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Did you stay with the factory Radio? Where did they mount the sub and Amp? Got pics for other members?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I will post some photos tomorrow. The sub and amp are under the seat.
    I did stay the the factory head unit.

photo as requested.

The bass is great, vibrates the rear view mirror at times.
    Very clean sounding all the way up. you do not use any bass on the radio, in fact we have it cut back some and have increased the mid and treble.
    The kids wife are loving it.

the front door speakers crapped out in my 03 ,,, so i went online and ordered 2- 6.5" pyle, 240 watt, 3 ways for 25 bucks ,, they gotta be better then what i had in there.. i will replace the rears shortly after these .

terry m

Legend

Ok so you have a 200 RMS watt amp to hook up to those? If not you just bought some large tweeters...

What's the RMS on those speakers? What radio are you using?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I am using the stock head unit. The amp is a 400 watt rms bridged. This is what I found doing some research. The amp dives the sub only. The sub is 500 watt rms.
    There is nothing about this sounding like a big tweeter. The bass will shake the review mirror. The volume is outstanding, a lot more than anyone would need.
    I have a hearing problem, Vietnam, the bass at times hurts my ears.

There is not doubt better systems out there. I wanted a improvement in sound and speakers that would hold up and not spend that much. I could have done the install myself and gotten more for my money but with Veterans day coming up I was tight on time. I have a custom bike I built and had to get it ready for a display for veterans programs.
    I am very impressed with the sound so far. It sounds close to the system that is in my Monte Carlo SS. That one will blow you out of the car.
    I could change amps easy enough and add a 15 inch double voice coil sub, I have one, but this is good for now.

Legend

Get yourself a Good 5 Ch amp to power all of your speakers and Sun And change out the head unit so you can get a clean signal to the amp and you will have a TON better sound... It's not bass you are missing BUT Midbass which is about 60% of your music Your stock radio is only giving about 18 Watts RMS I'm sure your hearing is not as good as it used to be And I do thank you for serving Us over seas.. But I would like to see you get the sound you want and enjoy....

I will make some adjustments later/ making some changes. Just needed something to keep momma quiet for a while.
    She thinks a truck is designed for riding around and daily driving. My truck is a work horse for me basically speaking. it is used mostly to pull my bike trailer for shows and displays. And of course for getting to where I need to get to. I live in a farming community so it is needed so I do not get stuck.
    I agree. I have been doing systems on bikes for a few years and leaned a lot doing it.