GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Changing the Oil

Mine 08 is now out of warranty and I finally get to change the oil myself! I knew I could before if I had documentation but I went for this "customer for life" deal which included free oil changes and tire rotation. Long story short- when I changed it last night it was really black with only 6k miles! They claimed they were using partially synthetic oil and the oil filter was one I've never heard of- Service Pro and couldn't find any info on it. It actually felt heavier than my $12 Mobil 1 filter or maybe just my imagination.

Can someone tell me how many quarts my 4.8 holds? I googled it and couldn't believe I got different answers...5 or 6!! I've misplaced my manual but think it said 6. Am I right?

One more thing...Unlike my old 94 Z-71, I had a time trying to tighten the filter and still don't feel 100% safe! Is there a special tool for it? I've never put on a wrench to tighten. I have a chain type wrench, a cap style. I guess I need a slim jim thingy. All I could get was 3 fingers on it! They shoulda made a little room! Lol

This is the service pro web site, they are made by champ labs, they use a synthetic filter medium. link to web site,
    http://www.service-pro.com/about.html They make a standard and synthetic filter./ 6 quart capacity with the filter change.
    Life is short compared to history

Rick (summitwhite11)

Thanks Summit!

Legend

Blog Entries

And you can get an electronic copy of your owners manual here......

http://www.vadengmpp.com/owners-manu...r_manuals.html

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Cool! Thanks man!

was the oil real thick? Black oil isn't necessarily bad. one of the purposes oil has is to remove debris from the engine. when you drain the oil, the contaminants come out with it. If the oil filter is a "synthetic" it will be heavier because they use thick material for the oil filter....

Quote Originally Posted by 95C1500 View Post
    was the oil real thick? Black oil isn't necessarily bad. one of the purposes oil has is to remove debris from the engine. when you drain the oil, the contaminants come out with it. If the oil filter is a "synthetic" it will be heavier because they use thick material for the oil filter....
    Yes it was thick. Yes with higher mileage I would agree about black oil but mine just turned 28k.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 95C1500 View Post
    Yes it was thick. Yes with higher mileage I would agree about black oil but mine just turned 28k.

The oil filter you took off is heavier because it still has some oil in it. Run this oil change for 3-4000 miles and see what it looks like. To me, 6000 is a bit too long

[B]1997 GMC

I change my oil @ 5,000mi intervals cuz it's easy to keep up with! I use Mobile1 syn oil and a puralator filter.
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, SCT Programmer.

Legend

when you have had these oil changes you did check that they changed the oil right ?

you did/do check the oil on a regular routine ? this black engine oil new or new to you ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast