GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default How long does the tranny fluid need to warm up?

New owner here, 2013 Burb 1500 5.3 4x4 with a towing package, ie. aux tranny cooler. Everything seems great on the truck with one slightly suspicious thing... Is 15-20 minutes not long enough to warm up the tranny fluid to the normal operating temperature (150-200 F)??? It has gotten cold here (40s), but I see my ATF temp get up to maybe 100 F and stay there rather stubbornly (on my usual 15-20 minute trips). Is this warm enough for the tranny to operate at? Is there a thermostat on the ATF cooling system or does it always flow thru the aux cooler ALL the time? Maybe the low temps are not allowing it to warm up?

Better too cold than too hot

The transmission fluid runs through the trans cooler and also through the rad. I guess that warms it up once the engine comes up in temp. I wouldnt be concerned

[B]1997 GMC

I installed a tranny gauge in my truck this morning....Its about 35-40 degrees around here too...Went into town to run a few errands. Temp on gauge went to about 125F, that was about it.

[B]1997 GMC

Here's a chart of average temperature vs fluid life. Lower temps are better, as long as the ATF stays above 100F you shouldn't have hard shifts really. My Tahoe also has a factory aux cooler and it doesn't seem to have any problems with low fluid temps, but I don't have a temp gauge on it so I'm not sure what temps I'm running.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

^^^^^^^cool chart of Info.. thanks for sharing.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    Here's a chart of average temperature vs fluid life. Lower temps are better, as long as the ATF stays above 100F you shouldn't have hard shifts really. My Tahoe also has a factory aux cooler and it doesn't seem to have any problems with low fluid temps, but I don't have a temp gauge on it so I'm not sure what temps I'm running.
    i wish forum runner had a thank button lol at pepboys, we recommended the average fluid/filter exchange for every 45-50k miles
    Chuckie!!!