GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2001 Chevy Silverado tow/haul help

Hello!
    Well I've been having issues with my tow/haul where the light will come on and then engage the transmission to go lower. At times the light would come on after turning the car on or even while I'm driving. Just last week my transmission went out so we had to rebuild it and just yesterday I got the truck back. This morning the light came on by it's self and engaged the transmission again. So I was wondering if anyone knew any possible reasons for why it would be doing this. My dad thinks there may be a broken wire or that there's a problem with the shifting handle. Just to let you guys know I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 Ls 4x4 with automatic transmission.

Hi, welcome to the site. I think I recall a couple of threads describing your problem. I believe the problem was a broken/cut wire in the steering column. Someone who knows for sure will probably hop on here, but in the wait time try a search.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

oh cool thank you guys!! definitely helped

Glad to help. Please try the chicken and tip your server.

Had the same trouble. Two wires runs into your gearshift. Mine was broke rite as they run into the lever. Before you take the plastic off your column u can pull the rubber boot out that's around the lever and u can see the wires. Wanting to say they are orange or yellow. Can't remember for sure.