GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Legend

Default My Dilema, F@#^!!!

I had the "clunk" going in my truck, it was the u joints, the needle bearings were actually coming out of the joint!! Now the problem is one of the bolts at the rear of the driveshaft that held the straps over the u-joint has snapped off and all of the bolt was left inside, i have already drilled it and used an extractor and holy crap the extractor broke too. My last resort is to completely drill it out to the threads, re tap new threading and use a slightly larger diameter bolt, but will this throw off the balnce of the shaft and rear drive line or not. Please give some advice, I need this for vacation next week without it its a nogo
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Man what a conundrum you have there!! Puting in a slightly larger bolt will throw the balance off a little, but not enougt to ever cause a problem. If you are still worried about it just drill and tap the other side and all will be right with the world again, in balance Enjoy your vacation!!!! I wish I could take one
    Chris S. The GoFastPadre I like to drive fast and I've got the speeding tickets to prove it. 00 Sierra Z71 ECSB K&N CAI Pacesetter Shorties (soon to be replaced with LT's) Magnaflow HFC's Flowmasters with True Duals and H-Pipe more mods to come

That happened to me once except it was a bell housing bolt. I had just assembled the engine and I was tightening the bell housing bolts when one broke. Then the extractor broke and I thought I was up the creek. Loaded the engine in the van took it over to a welder who arc welded another bolt to the old one and after two tries out came the bolt!

I'd guess that u-joint bolts are probably to small for this sort of thing, so I'd go with drilling the old one out. Use a sharp bit, and keep it lubed. You don't want to break off a drill bit and compound the problem.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap