GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Full time DRL's

Default Full time DRL's

Hi I'm Brillo. Forgive me if this has been discussed already but I am new (just signed up). I have a 2004 Silverado 1500 and I just changed the DRL's over to amber. I would now like for them to stay on full time so I can run them with my parking lights and headlights. Has anyone done this mod? I read on the Avalanche forum people saying they unplugged a green module and switched blue wires to red terminals but I'm not sure where all of this is located on the truck or if it is the same for a Silverado. I just like the look of having the DRL's on with the other lights. Does anyone have any ideas or info on how to do this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome To gmtc! I am sure that there is a DRL relay in the box under the hood. If there is, you can simply go buy a pack of diodes and shrink wrap from radio shack (the diodes are around $4 for a pack of 10) or you can order them online cheaper if you are patient. Then you would shrink wrap one diode leaving an inch of wire exposed on the end. Then pull your low beam relay and insert the diode into the relay trigger signal (the #85 hole, look at the lid to your fuse box for the numbers) run the other side of the diode to 85 hole of your drls, push both relays back in. Now check your work. If you put the truck in gear and the drls and the headlights come on then you have the diode backwards, pull it out, install it the other way and test it again.

I did this to my 2005, I just did it for all four headlights to stay on when I turn my brights on. If you want to do that, you have more diodes shrink wrap them and go for it. Don't worry about them running under the relays, it is fine.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by brillo72 View Post
    Hi I'm Brillo. Forgive me if this has been discussed already but I am new (just signed up). I have a 2004 Silverado 1500 and I just changed the DRL's over to amber. I would now like for them to stay on full time so I can run them with my parking lights and headlights. Has anyone done this mod? I read on the Avalanche forum people saying they unplugged a green module and switched blue wires to red terminals but I'm not sure where all of this is located on the truck or if it is the same for a Silverado. I just like the look of having the DRL's on with the other lights. Does anyone have any ideas or info on how to do this? Thanks in advance for your help.
    I want to thank everyone who responded. The information provided was great and I can't wait to do the mod. I bought the diodes and heat shrink tubing today. I have added a pictures of the ones I bought and want to make sure they will work. While I am pretty mechanically inclined I admit I know nothing about diodes. Would someone please let me know what you think? I plan to do the all on high mod.

Thanks again for all of your help!
    Brillo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20131110_183648.jpg