GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Levelled Suspension over travel bump stop question.

Hi, I've searched for this but haven't found much out there.
    I have a 2013 Sierra 4x4 that I added a 2" spacer above the front strut and a 1.25 block in the rear.
    My issue is when I go over a speed bump I get a knock in the front and rear. The front suspension extends until it hits a stop and I think the rear shocks fully extend.
    I'm not sure what to do. If I cut out the front bump stops and get rear shock extensions, will that solve my issue? Should I have any concerns about cutting out the front bump stops?
    Thanks.
    2013 Sierra ext 4x4-- 4.8L
    Jeff

do not cut out the bump stops. of it is like my 99 gmc when i got it the cv shafts where binding and pulled the passenger side shaft out enough to drop the thrust washer and kept it from being able to go into 4wd. fixed the axle and replaced the bumpstops and havent had any more problems. angles like that are also hard on ball joints. my also check the bolts for the shocks in rear and make sure they are tight.

Anyone here at all cut the front upper control bump stops? Some kits require them to be removed. Anyone here have negative effects from removing them?
    2013 Sierra ext 4x4-- 4.8L
    Jeff

i'm assuming you did not replace the rear shocks to accommodate the lift. as far as the front goes, dont cut the bump stops, they are there for a reason.
    2012 Chevy Captiva Sport LT V6 (The Spanish Prison)

MODS:

Cobra 19 Ultra II CB and some generic CB antenna.
    55W 10000K HID High Beams (just to remind the wonderful citizens of Hampton that their High Beams are on)

Upcoming mods:

[_] Exhaust [_]Subwoofers [_]More HID's [_]LED's [_]MORE LIGHTS!!! [_]Carr Light Bar w/ 3 or 4 in round off-road lights. [_]Black out Badges [_]Black out exhaust tips [_]Black out imitation skid plates on front and rear [_]Hopefully find a way to keep fogs, low beams, and high beams on at the same time

Jason

I agree! Don't cut them off. Are you sure that you just don't have bad lower bushings on the shocks? They make the same noise that you are describing. Did you retorque all the bolts 100 miles, then 500 miles after you installed your kit? Did you install new shocks when you added the block in the rear? I would not buy an extender. I would buy the proper length shocks! Bilstein sells them for a .5" -2" kit. What kit did you use?

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Sr. Mechanic

DO NOT CUT OFF BUMP STOPS!!! Your noise is coming from your shocks! It would be best to get longer shocks, but you could do the work and rebuild the shock mounts! 2" isn't gonna pull out the axle, at least it hasn't on my tracker!

Like already stated...dont cut them. Also, did you stack a 1.25" block on top of the factory block?

________2013 4C Rated__________