GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Is the AWD in a 2006 Yukon XL capable of handling muddy dirt roads

I'm looking to buy either the Yukon Xl or Suburban and just saw a Yukon XL Denali that I liked. Can anyone tell me if the AWD is capable of driving muddy dirt roads that I experience while hunting in North Dakota? First hand experience from someone would be great.
    Last edited by Steve; 11-10-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Like you, I would have the same concerns. I'm sure it would be strong enough, the question is more around the point when the power transfer occurs. Does it occur when you need it and will the sudden power transfer to the front cause problems you don't need.

I was with a guy with a RAV4 yesterday, every time the AWD kicked in, the truck tried to go sideways for a few feet. It would straighten out and go straight after that, but the transfer was a little shaky. I'd had rather have my 4WD (on demand) t-case.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by bk1981 View Post
    I'm looking to buy either the Yukon Xl or Suburban and just saw a Yukon XL Denali that I liked. Can anyone tell me if the AWD is capable of driving muddy dirt roads that I experience while hunting in North Dakota? First hand experience from someone would be great.
    it does fine. My buddy Ryan and I take his up in the mountains all the time. Believe his is and 08? He's rocking 285/70/17 Goodyear m/t's
    Chuckie!!!

For most people, in all but the more extreme situations where you need traction/power to all wheels ...AWD systems do just fine.

In fact, they were designed for light offroading, muddy roads, snow and ice, etc.

I've heard of people with AWD for these years say that they are 60/40 and that causes about a 1 mpg difference in fuel economy.

However, no more having to worry about 4hi, 4lo, etc.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Like said above, it will handle it. I would reconsider the AWD though. My cousin has the same year yukon xl denali as my yukn xl. His is AWD, mine 4wd. He is constantly replacing front end parts (wheel hubs, front diff parts, u joints) and as mentioned above he gets 1mpg less. In my opinion the 4wd is more versatile. You have the option of Auto 4wd, 2wd, 4 hi, and 4 low.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Like said above, it will handle it. I would reconsider the AWD though. My cousin has the same year yukon xl denali as my yukn xl. His is AWD, mine 4wd. He is constantly replacing front end parts (wheel hubs, front diff parts, u joints) and as mentioned above he gets 1mpg less. In my opinion the 4wd is more versatile. You have the option of Auto 4wd, 2wd, 4 hi, and 4 low.
    agreed entirelt
    Chuckie!!!