GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by MauryFrench View Post
    It started exhibiting a new issue; After driving a while the rpms will shoot up as in a downshift but the truck doesn't move any faster, then will stabilize as if it was shifting after passing someone, if that makes sense. It does this a few times.

Thanks,
    Maury
    I wonder if you are having a torque converter lock up issue. That would explain the stalling when stopping and the odd shift on the highway

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by HANX TANX View Post
    Hi Maury. I had the same problem in a 1990. It turned out to be the throttle position sensor. Italso is located on the throttle body. It needs to have a slight adjustement to correct the issue.
    Thanks. Now you say a slight adjustment. At 35 bucks or so shouldn't I just replace it? Did you replace yours, or were you able to adjust it?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my lord I hope not! I believe a torque converter replacement would be well beyond my puny scope of abilities and the repair cost borders on the value of the truck! But, I will ask my mechanic about that if the TPS change doesn't fix it.

Thanks,

Maury

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I wonder if you are having a torque converter lock up issue. That would explain the stalling when stopping and the odd shift on the highway
    95 Chevy Silverado
    Beat up by hail and a faulty tow truck
    5.7L V-8
    251,000 miles

Hi Maury. I did not replace the T.P.S IT literally gets a turn clockwise to take up the slack on the throttle allowing more gas in at idle

Jr. Mechanic

Mr. Tanx. I replaced the TPS as I did not understand what you were saying. It ran fine for a few miles, and now the truck is worse that it has been since the beginning of this ordeal. I barely got it back into the driveway. I will do some research on adjusting the TPS but let me ask. Did you turn something in the sensor or did you turn the connector in the throttle body?

And even then, you said that would give it more gas at idle. How about acceleration? I had to coast it home at a high idle because it would choke up (I guess choke is the wrong word but I can't think of a better one) when I accelerate. Anyone else?

- - - Updated - - -

Slight update; based on another thread at this sight I learned how to read the ODB1 codes in my 95 with a paperclip. I feel pretty cocky. BUT, the only code i got was the following:
    15 Coolant temperature sensor signal indicates a temperature colder than -27 F for 30 seconds after the engine has been running for at least 30 seconds.

I changed the temperature sensor that is down between plugs one and two at someone elses suggestion. Now we know Dallas Texas has never even seen -27 degrees, F or C! Can this still be causing the issues listed above? I doubt it, but want to check.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12