GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Default Fiber Optics in the house - AT&T u-verse

Well, in the yard actually. In June/July it was AT&T coming out to put in some conduit or whatever they were doing -- some upgrades or something, they never told us. Now they're putting in FiOS in the neighborhood. They run along the fenceline, so I guess about one out of every 5 or 6 houses has a box in their backyard for access.

Anyhow, they didn't dig a trench, just a 4x4x4 access hole that they can come in and splice the FiOS into the current copper lines.

Hopefully they should be done today, I also hope they can put my sod back!
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 08-12-2007 at 03:36 PM.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

you can get over that Steve, espcially if/when you get the fios service. From what I've heard, it's WAY WAY fast...like 10mbit/1.5mbit.... All I can say is I'm drooling over the fiber in your backyard
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Yeah, the guy doing the work showed up when I was putting out the trash and getting ready to leave this morning. We chatted about it for about 15 minutes or so.

Essentially I'm the closest house to the neighborhood node, so it's fiber to the node and twisted copper to each house. But it's like 50 feet for me, vs. other houses in the area that might be like 3500 feet or so.

We use both Fibre to the Feeder then maximum 5 actives out which is pretty good but we've also got areas (New sub-divisions) with Fibre to the Curb with no actives just feeds RF to the subscriber (which is pretty cool)
    To be honest as long as the amount of subscribers equipment doesn't exceed the max on controller card at our head-end. The experience is usually the same. We don't have what the call cascade violations like we used to have. (i.e.: Miles and miles of ampilfiers) which had to be aligned properly all the time....Sorry did I just Cable babble on you...

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

Quote Originally Posted by Cableguy View Post
    We use both Fibre to the Feeder then maximum 5 actives out which is pretty good but we've also got areas (New sub-divisions) with Fibre to the Curb with no actives just feeds RF to the subscriber (which is pretty cool)
    To be honest as long as the amount of subscribers equipment doesn't exceed the max on controller card at our head-end. The experience is usually the same. We don't have what the call cascade violations like we used to have. (i.e.: Miles and miles of ampilfiers) which had to be aligned properly all the time....Sorry did I just Cable babble on you...
    I understood about 3/4 of what you said. What's the RF to subscriber though?

RF to the subscriber could also be called coax to the subscriber.... and Cableguy, cascade violations can't be that bad, the signal just gets a little muddy. By the way...you think I could get my hands on a couple of those insanely powerful amps? Shooting a signal across low-loss coax for a couple miles...nice

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    RF to the subscriber could also be called coax to the subscriber.... and Cableguy, cascade violations can't be that bad, the signal just gets a little muddy. By the way...you think I could get my hands on a couple of those insanely powerful amps? Shooting a signal across low-loss coax for a couple miles...nice
    Something like that. Cascade violations are a huge problem for HDTV, Modems and Home phone. They need to be constantly swept out end to end to realign. If you mean a Node, ya right good luck buying one. Gotta few grand on ya LOL. I can get a 25db line extender...

BTW did you dabble in the Cable industry, Crawdaddy?

umm..I didn't actually work in the industry persay, I applied to Charter Communications and they didn't hire me. But I've had my hand in some pretty large Cable TV/Video/Audio distribution systems. I don't like to toot my own horn....well actually, I do... I can even do fiber splicing using a fuser (dad does fiber work). A couple times I've thought about...umm...taking a 5 finger discount on a couple of unprotected nodes, but opted not to. My latest project has been doing IP telephony and very long-range wifi networking. I have a lot more skill in electronics than I do automotive, so that's what I stick to. One of these days we need to get into some uber-geeky cable talk ;)
    Last edited by Crawdaddy; 08-09-2007 at 08:26 PM.

Sweet! I work mostly on return impairments on Data/Phone modems. I work out of our headend alot (Monitoring incoming and outgoing traffic) but I also am a lineman in the field. I like to stay well rounded. I don't touch much fibre (seperate crew) but I have dabbled in it. We don't call it IP telephony anymore cuz our voice packets are dedicated not data based. A voice packet on cable takes priority over data. A voice packet dropped is a dropped phone call. Nothing like Vonage or other voice telephony service.

Default The dark side

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Well, in the yard actually. In June/July it was SBC doing some upgrades. Now it's AT&T putting in FiOS in the neighborhood. They run along the fenceline, so I guess about one out of every 5 or 6 houses has a box in their backyard for access.

Anyhow, they didn't dig a trench, just a 4x4x4 access hole that they can come in and splice the FiOS into the current copper lines.

Hopefully they should be done today, I also hope they can put my sod back!
    Ummm....small point of contention. FiOS is a registered trademark of the evil empire err I mean Verizon. AT&T uses the trademarked HomePortal.

The evil empire did a clean job in my neighborhood, but across town they were digging up the concrete blocking access to peoples driveways and leaving dirt and shovels on lawns. Nice job Lord Vader err Ivan.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by