GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Rude to park commercial truck in front of house?

A local roofing company just parked a big work truck in front of my house, technically it's a secondary street that I don't own, but still, it's parked out there and leaking oil on the ground. They pulled up last night like at 6:30 PM and it's been sitting there ever since ... that's 16 hours of oil-dripping nastiness.

I called them and left a message a short while ago, no call back yet. I asked them to move their truck, which technically I guess they have a legal right to park there, but it's just nasty ... would they be ok if I got a big oil-dripping truck and parked in front of their house?

Anyhow, it's funny becuase they post a picture of this nasty truck on their website as a benefit to doing business with them. It's got some type of scissor-lift bed which is good for two-story houses I guess. Now, I have to admit, the truck itself it pretty impressive, that's a great engineering feat.

Now, the kicker is that this vehicle has some obvious code violations. The windshield is all cracked up and the license plate is partially hidden by the right read brake light. So if I wanted to be a jerk I could call the cops and they would be cited for that.

Anyhow, what does everyone think? Is it rude for them to do that and rude for me to ask them to move?

This thing is parked out on the street next to my driveway.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Ya gotta admit, that's a pretty cool truck with the scissor lift bed. Letting it leak hydraulic (I'm assuming) oil all over the street, that's not cool. It's gonna stain that concrete and you'll almost never be able to get it clean again. I know that from when my Suburban sat in the street in front of my uncle's house with the blown transmission. I left many a stain on the street in front of his house from that... If you're angry enough, you could try to call the DOTD on the out of repair truck, but I honestly don't think they'll come out to inspect it and do anything.... Maybe a couple caltrops in the street in front of the truck...it's pseudo-peaceful protest
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

call the city !! where i live they will cite them for hazardus waste violation

Dan

2006 GMC 1500 Long Bed Vortec 4.3
    1982 S-10 Prodject Street/Track with a 327/300hp Motor built up to 415 hp

Here are some photos. Maybe it's just a NIMBY type of deal, I dunno.

Parked near my driveway - legally I assume - 17 hours and counting as of the photo
    It does totally block my view when backing out of the driveway though

Here is some of the oil-dripping fun that will provide me weeks of fun as it sits on the road outside my house. I guess they're 12" diameter oil blobs?

Is your "secondary street" residential on both sides? If yes, then it's totally rude to park a commercial vehicle unless it's actually being used for a job in the neighborhood.
    We had a similar situation just recently. It arrived Friday evening and Monday I called the cops. Turns out that the truck had been stolen the same day it showed up in front of our house. Perhaps calling the cops on your truck might be doing the owner a favor.
    Are we having fun, yet?

Most of the cities in this area have ordinances against overnight parking of trucks that size on residential streets. Might not hurt to call the police dept. and ask. I don't think it having an oil leak will help you get it removed, most vehicles leak some anyway. Just be careful of the reprecussions of the owner of the truck are, they know who you are and where you live.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Most of the cities in this area have ordinances against overnight parking of trucks that size on residential streets. Might not hurt to call the police dept. and ask. I don't think it having an oil leak will help you get it removed, most vehicles leak some anyway. Just be careful of the reprecussions of the owner of the truck are, they know who you are and where you live.
    Well, my one phone call was enough ... or they needed it. The truck was moved and they were re-roofing a house up one of the side streets. I guess they just wanted to stage it there prior to the job they did today.

Maybe I can work out of them a discount for my own roof to be re-done.

awesome steve!!! glad they moved it
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here