GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Default CV axle angle and torsion key lift

    SO check this out.
    S10 or K frames we all have CV (constant velocity) axles for our front differential 4WD (excluding the solid axle K5s)
    below is how the CV axle should look... perfectly level through the wheel... also, notice the WRONG way to run your CV axles...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1378472_10152302723607542_1612433252_n.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	56079


    when lifting your IFS truck, do no exceed an angle of 25* in your CVAs


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1452557_10152302691427542_1938997633_n.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	56080
    if lifting your tuck more than 2" you MUST drop the front diff to bring it back in alignment with the outer casters.
    here is a video of the MAXIMUM amount of angle a CVA can have for driving
    if this amount is exceeded, the results can include, excessive axle ware/ suspension ware, boot tearing, the dreaded "death wobble", axle binding and breaking!
    so good luck!
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

  2. #2

    Default

    So how do monster trucks and big mud trucks do it and get all the ground clearance?? This crap makes me glad I have a solid front axle in my 90 burban
    Chuckie!!!


  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurbanMan View Post
    So how do monster trucks and big mud trucks do it and get all the ground clearance?? This crap makes me glad I have a solid front axle in my 90 burban
    Solid axles! Ground clearance is dependent on tire size. (on most trucks) The larger the tire the more clearance between the ground and the axle.

    1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

    2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Solid axles! Ground clearance is dependent on tire size. (on most trucks) The larger the tire the more clearance between the ground and the axle.
    ah. I thought they would use long vc axles or something

  5. #5
    Jr. Engineer poncho62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Hanover, Ont, Canada
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Monster Trucks and highly lifted trucks dont use CV joints...They go to solid axles, usually off of military trucks.

    Even if you drop your differential to help line things up, you still have to account for the driveshaft angle coming from the transfer case.

    1997 GMC

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
    Monster Trucks and highly lifted trucks dont use CV joints...They go to solid axles, usually off of military trucks. Even if you drop your differential to help line things up, you still have to account for the driveshaft angle coming from the transfer case.
    right on. As you can tell, I have plenty of learning to do about 4x4's. I'm currently starting on my first.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurbanMan View Post
    right on. As you can tell, I have plenty of learning to do about 4x4's. I'm currently starting on my first.
    only advice I can give is to ASK Questions, check out product reviews, look at the pros and cons of anything you install on your truck. I learned the hard way. I installed a crap lift on my 95 and ended up ripping it off 2 years later and installing a bds kit. Post questions, pm people, get as much info as you can about something before you buy anything.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    only advice I can give is to ASK Questions, check out product reviews, look at the pros and cons of anything you install on your truck. I learned the hard way. I installed a crap lift on my 95 and ended up ripping it off 2 years later and installing a bds kit. Post questions, pm people, get as much info as you can about something before you buy anything.
    my game plan is to lift the from 2" do some trimming and install 265/75/16's or 265/70/17's.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurbanMan View Post
    my game plan is to lift the from 2" do some trimming and install 265/75/16's or 265/70/17's.
    Thats exactly what I did. 2" rear leafs and front keys. No more than that! lol

    Weird thing is one key is turned up WAY more than the other.... but the truck seams level.... is there a torque setting for torsion keys?

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K15 Blazer Guy View Post
    Thats exactly what I did. 2" rear leafs and front keys. No more than that! lol Weird thing is one key is turned up WAY more than the other.... but the truck seams level.... is there a torque setting for torsion keys?
    I'm not aware of one. Doesn't mean there isn't one.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •