GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Angry Fuel pump problems

i just got done rebuilding my engine on my 1994 silverado k1500 not to long ago and when it was ready to start her up that didnt happen. The truck would crank but not start. So we bought a new battery made sure there was gas still nothing. We disconected the fuel lines to the throttle body to see if it was getting gas and it wasnt so then we dissconnected it from the fuel filter to iff if it might be clogged, turns out it wasnt. The fuel pump isnt even pumping gas, i never touched the gas tank or anything so im stumped. i am hoping i dont have to buy a new fuel pump. I know on some fords there is a reset switch behind the kick panal and i was wondering if there was anything like that on my truck, that i have to reset? A friend gave me the idea to run a wire straight from the battery to the pump but im a little hessitant on that. Everything worls fine it just doesnt pump gas.

any ideas would greatly help me out.

thanks tyler.

I know of no switch on any GM product for the fuel pump. I could be wrong, but I have never heard of it.

Your pump is bad, or you disconnected something going to it. There are a lot of wires going from the engine to the pump.

Unplug the plug at the frame rail to the fuel pump. Have a friend turn the ignition to the on position while you have a test light at the ready. If you are getting voltage at that point I am pretty sure you have a bad pump.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

it more then likly the pump... in the past 2 years iv changed like7 pumps for friends and family... they just go...

2006 2500HD Silverado 6.0L

Only f*rds have that reset buttouel pump oil pressure switch and then the was you want, first to an inline fuse and then from there to the pump/senn, but before you condemn the pump, do what fiero said and check the wiring, but also im gonna guess and say its a 5.7? and you also may wanna check theres an inline fuse inbweteen the relay and the pump go to the right rear of your engine compartment, and theres the fuel pump relay, there should be 5 wires going to it, org, red, gry, dark grn/wht, and blk/wht, follow the grey wire, i believe it splices and goes one way to the fuel pump oil presure sitch, and then the other way to a inline fuse, 20a i believe, then inbetween that it splicse once more, going to the pump, and the other way to the ecm. Good luck, and let me know if its not a 5.7 btw.
    --> Rocco "Rumpamuro"

--> Apprentice Mechanic (Cars and Trucks)

--> Mississauga, Ontario (Canada) eh!

--> Vehicles on the driveway:

-2008 GMC Acadia SLE AWD

-2007 Silverado Classic Reg cab, long box.

-2008 Pontiac Vibe (my dads fuel efficient way to go to work)

-1996 Pontiac Sunfire GT

yes it is a 5.7l.

thanks ill try that and see what happens.

so just check and make sure all the wires are good then if so see if it is getting power?
    im just trying to avoid droping the tank to replace the pump.