GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Brake fluid flush.

What is the best method to change all the brake fluid.

Me personally I do the following:

Use a turkey baster to remove most of the fluid from the reservoir
    Refill reservoir with fresh fluid
    Open up a bleeder screw and let the fluid drip out until clean
    Refill brake fluid reservoir
    Repeat for each wheel

Sometimes I give the brake pedal a slight pump to get the fluid out quicker.

When I'm done I feel that I have replaced all the brake fluid. I see that there are lots of different devices to help you, but are they really needed?

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

I do the same thing.
    2000 Silverado 5.3L Z71 4x4: K&N air filter, Procomp 16x8 rims, 285/70R16 Toyo AT2s, Kenwood head unit, Alpine 500.1 amp, 12" kicker, Infinity 5.25" speakers, Bilstein HD shocks, EBC GD Sport dimple & slotted front rotors w. EBC green stuff pads, Brembo slotted rear rotors & HIDs.

Back in the shop days I used a pressure pot filled with fluid, a few pounds of air in the bladder, attach cup cover plate, open the fluid valve and start opening the bleeder valves, excellent one person operation for brake fluid replacment, I see today they have modified typical home hand pressure sprayers adding a hose, a cap that fits your cup, I am not sure how good this would work, but it looks cool for one person operation.
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Motive+Product...FS8S7Aodb2sAkg
    Life is short compared to history

Rick (summitwhite11)

That's how I do mine. I have my son help and pump the pedal and I open each bleeder till fluid runs clear.
    2006 Silverado 1500 5.3L ecsb Z71,afe pro s dry air filter, color matched tailgate handle and bezel,color matched front bow tie, led interior illumination, 5000K HID lows, Black powder coated wheels, Blacked out body side moldings, Rough Country 2.5" level/lift kit, Magnaflow muffler

Ive found the Motive Power Bleeder to be the cleanest and easiest method to change and flush brake fluid.
    Ive been using one for the past couple years to do semi annual fluid changes on all my vehicles.
    An added benefit of the Motive unit is if you own a I/O powered boat with a few adaptors you can change the engine oil easy and mess free.

This could be a winter project, a one gallon sprayer, an extra cap, a piece of tubing, a bulk head fitting, with an on/off valve on the front side of the bulk head fitting.

I go to each bleeder and connect my imitation mighty vac. Then I suck the fluid out until it is clean. I have trun into a few issues doing it this way, 1)the container on my vac is only 4 ounces, so I am emptying it constantly. 2) the master cylinder empties fast, so I have to fill it often 3)not really a fluid change problem, more a bleeding issue, but I have had air such passed the threads of the bleeder so it always looks like you are getting air, but some 90w oil on the threads stops that. In the past I have used the one man bleeder valves available at many parts stores. There is a check valve in them so no air gets back into the system. I just opened a bleeder, pumped the pedal, refilled the master and repeated. I was skeptical about them until I was forced to use one because no one was around to help me bleed my brakes after a caliper change. They do work well.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)