GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Thumbs up truck shopping - what drivetrain? V8 vs V6: 4x4 trans/front diff (reg cab short box)

    Just checking to make sure the V6 and V8 4x4 regular cab trucks use different transmissions, transfer cases, and front diff/axles?

    I'm looking to pick up a project truck, will be doing a FI engine swap, and wanted to make sure I wouldn't be saving money and time by finding a V6 truck instead?

    Mostly concerned with the strength of the front diff/axles, then transfer case, and trans. manual preferred over auto also.

    I'm hoping an expert knows these tech specs pretty well and can post them in this thread for me.... thanks

  2. #2

    Default

    Depending on the year they may use a different tranny, but they use the same front axle and most times the same rear end. T-case is dependent on vehicle options like lever shift 4x4 or electronic

    1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

    Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    Depending on the year they may use a different tranny, but they use the same front axle and most times the same rear end. T-case is dependent on vehicle options like lever shift 4x4 or electronic
    Awesome, thank you. So, the same front IFS axles/diff on all vehicles? Good to know. Another question - Any strength/weakness issues with the lever vs electronic T-cases?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingAries View Post
    Awesome, thank you. So, the same front IFS axles/diff on all vehicles? Good to know. Another question - Any strength/weakness issues with the lever vs electronic T-cases?
    Both are very solid, but sometimes the electronic and have issues if say the switch stops working or the shift motor dies. The lever is so basic that it rarely has issues, but its less convenient. But yes exact same front diff on all the IFS trucks and suvs from 1988 to 2007 at least

    1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

    Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

  5. Likes Pikey liked this post
  6. #5
    Master Mechanic clgoch187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    900

    Default

    I'd go with the manual lever 4wd, that way you know its in, no electronic bs to break down or hesistation when engaging the front wheels.
    And what type of truck are you wanting to build? If your going for a lifted trail irmud rig you'll probably wants solid front axle over the ifs.
    And again depending what year truck you want you might as well get the v8,or if possible the motor your lookin to swap from the get go. With these newer v6 engines being stout as they are they easily compare to the old 305s and even some 350s....but the fuel of these v6 engines really isn't any better than 5.3 v8. And most would take the 5.3 and 6.0 over the old sbc. Honestly I'd hook my 4.8 up against a canned 350 and not think twice about it. And you can pick up used 6.0 with harness and ecm for $750-1000 all day long at junkyards.
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

  7. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clgoch187 View Post
    I'd go with the manual lever 4wd, that way you know its in, no electronic bs to break down or hesistation when engaging the front wheels.
    And what type of truck are you wanting to build? If your going for a lifted trail irmud rig you'll probably wants solid front axle over the ifs.
    And again depending what year truck you want you might as well get the v8,or if possible the motor your lookin to swap from the get go. With these newer v6 engines being stout as they are they easily compare to the old 305s and even some 350s....but the fuel of these v6 engines really isn't any better than 5.3 v8. And most would take the 5.3 and 6.0 over the old sbc. Honestly I'd hook my 4.8 up against a canned 350 and not think twice about it. And you can pick up used 6.0 with harness and ecm for $750-1000 all day long at junkyards.
    Yeah good point on the electronics. It will be a road race truck, slightly lowered, not lifted. I'll probably try to find a V8 truck to make everything easier right off the bat.

  8. #7
    Master Mechanic clgoch187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    900

    Default

    And you want 4wd for that? The ss are Awd and have the 6.0 but they are a little harder to find and your gonna pay a bit more...also they were all ec sb. I'd try finding a scsb work truck, most are 5.3 and fairly cheap.
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

  9. #8

    Default

    Sure do. I don't like traction issues in trucks with big power, so awd/4x4 it is. And it's not going to be a drag truck. It will be a hot rod for the street and track, not a daily driver. Must be scsb for this project though

    - - - Updated - - -

    Here's a good question - What front drivetrain are the SS trucks using? Same diff/axles? transfer case and trans?

  10. #9
    Master Mechanic clgoch187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    900

    Default

    Far as I know the only difference is the transfer case they still have the 4l60 transmission. I'd try picking up a t56 manual trans
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •