GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 98 gmc c5500 v8 350 questions

Hi all, I need some advice please, local mechanics are not helping me out here, nor is the dealer. I have a chip dump, losing power and sputtering in the morning especially. Over the weekend after sitting it's even worse.
    The check engine light flashes here and there and I get a dinging signal...the mechanics find they are unable to read the codes from the computer...but cannot say why!
    What do I do? Ideas on why codes cannot be read? And how to fix and make sure I'm not hurting my truck even more.
    I gave a tune up about 3000 miles ago and it is running very rough and seeming gutless.

Quote Originally Posted by wtree View Post
    Hi all, I need some advice please, local mechanics are not helping me out here, nor is the dealer. I have a chip dump, losing power and sputtering in the morning especially. Over the weekend after sitting it's even worse. The check engine light flashes here and there and I get a dinging signal...the mechanics find they are unable to read the codes from the computer...but cannot say why! What do I do? Ideas on why codes cannot be read? And how to fix and make sure I'm not hurting my truck even more. I gave a tune up about 3000 miles ago and it is running very rough and seeming gutless.
    does it have an obd ii port as the smaller trucks do?
    Chuckie!!!