GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: No Spark # 7

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    so with that then remove get access to the PCM check all wires there and remove connectors to inspect for damage/corroded green wires/ rodent chewed etc..
    Yeah, there is no green/damaged pins when I unplug the PCM and I can see no chaffing or rubbed wires. Called around for a used PCM but they said it had to be programed at the dealership. Really hate to have to go the stealership. :(

Legend

the wires at the coil to the pcm trace them back to the PCM connector [pin]. then use an OHM meter to see if the wire is good. if these 2 wires are good then it may be the PCM.

this is an odd ball failure if so.

report back what actually fixed it...

also I would put it all back to see if the miss is gone... would not be the first time a weird problem electrical like this got fixed just by messing with the wire harness/connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    the wires at the coil to the pcm trace them back to the PCM connector [pin]. then use an OHM meter to see if the wire is good. if these 2 wires are good then it may be the PCM.

this is an odd ball failure if so.

report back what actually fixed it...

also I would put it all back to see if the miss is gone... would not be the first time a weird problem electrical like this got fixed just by messing with the wire harness/connectors.
    I found this picture of the coils, looks like all the "B" wires are tied together so now I just need to figure out which pin is 72 on the PCM plug.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't really want to, but I split the harness open and followed the wire (which turns orange at the coil harness to main harness) all the way to the PCM. I don't have a probe small enough to check the connection but I did test it about an inch back and have continuity to there, so I'm leaning towards the PCM t this point.

- - - Updated - - -

*EDIT* I pulled the back off the PCM (which was difficult!) and counting the wires probed the 9th soldered connection on the back of the circuit board to the red wire on the coil plug and it does have continuity, so just ordered a used PCM for $50.00. Will report back if this cures it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ignition Controls - Ignition System Coils 1,3,5,7.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
    I found this picture of the coils, looks like all the "B" wires are tied together so now I just need to figure out which pin is 72 on the PCM plug.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't really want to, but I split the harness open and followed the wire (which turns orange at the coil harness to main harness) all the way to the PCM. I don't have a probe small enough to check the connection but I did test it about an inch back and have continuity to there, so I'm leaning towards the PCM t this point.

- - - Updated - - -

*EDIT* I pulled the back off the PCM (which was difficult!) and counting the wires probed the 9th soldered connection on the back of the circuit board to the red wire on the coil plug and it does have continuity, so just ordered a used PCM for $50.00. Will report back if this cures it.
    So, are you going to install the used pcm and then have it towed to a dealer for reprogramming? Before you go thru all that you may want to call your dealer and see if a flash update is available for your pcm. Sometimes they install the update for free. it might solve the issue

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    So, are you going to install the used pcm and then have it towed to a dealer for reprogramming? Before you go thru all that you may want to call your dealer and see if a flash update is available for your pcm. Sometimes they install the update for free. it might solve the issue
    I'm F***ed anyway. When I pried the back off the PCM I must have damaged it somehow cause now it won't crank over. :(

I'm F***ed anyway. When I pried the back off the PCM I must have damaged it somehow cause now it won't crank over. :(
    I would try disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes. You may have triggered the security system

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I would try disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes. You may have triggered the security system
    okay, worth a shot, thanks.

Legend

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

make sure the #7 b wire goes to the #!,3.5 b coils pin connection

there are people that program PCM ..some guy I saw does this work for about a hundred or so. dealership would be an easier way to handle it.

Can I just plug in the used PCM and drive it to the dealer for programming?

Can I just plug in the used PCM and drive it to the dealer for programming?

I don't know what controls the security system on that truck. It could be the pcm. I think that the radio and some other things are locked to the vin, so those will not work. I know, not a big deal. But, to be honest, I dont know if it is even going to start with the used pcm.