GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Adding an AUX jack to a stock radio.

Has anyone tried installing a 3.5mm audio input jack to use with your iPhone/iPod? I had one in an aftermarket radio on my first Z71, but I've since sold that truck and now I'm back with just a stock radio with a single CD player. I've seen a write up that someone on gmfullsize.com did, just wondering if anyone can clear up exactly which connections I need to tap into. I probably just need to crack into my unit and look around, but I'd like to have a good idea of what I'm doing before I screw something up. Here's the other thread just for reference... http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/show....php?p=3315388

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

What year truck do you have? I have a Peripheral Electronics/ PAC adp that gives me HD Radio and a AUX input for my Sirius Radio Thats on my 08 Avalanche
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

What he ^ said.
    -K&N Air Filter

Sorry about that. 2003 2wd GMC Sierra SLE. Single cd player/radio unit form the factory.

Legend

Does it have a Aux button or CD Changer ? XM Button? Can you post a pic of the radio?

I just completed this. I tied it into the XM wires on the black plug in back of radio. I don't have an XM subscription but it only disables it when then3.5mm plug is in the jack. Soldering the wires to the jack was a PITA but I just took my time. All other radio functions work normal. I soldered and used heat shrink tubing on the connections to the plug in back.
    2006 Silverado 1500 5.3L ecsb Z71,afe pro s dry air filter, color matched tailgate handle and bezel,color matched front bow tie, led interior illumination, 5000K HID lows, Black powder coated wheels, Blacked out body side moldings, Rough Country 2.5" level/lift kit, Magnaflow muffler

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BRB46 View Post
    I just completed this. I tied it into the XM wires on the black plug in back of radio. I don't have an XM subscription but it only disables it when then3.5mm plug is in the jack. Soldering the wires to the jack was a PITA but I just took my time. All other radio functions work normal. I soldered and used heat shrink tubing on the connections to the plug in back.

Nice Got pics for the members??

Quote Originally Posted by BRB46 View Post
    Nice mod. This would be great to have some illustrations of. Either way though.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	56198
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Nice mod. This would be great to have some illustrations of. Either way though.
    If you look at the OP,the link to another forum, post #8 BY CHEVY MAN and scroll through his pics you can see the way he connected to the plug on the back of radio with details. That's what i followed but i mounted my jack in a different place. i will post a pic later showing that. The whole panel where I mounted the jack pops out. You just have to unplug the power port wires and you can take it with you to work on it.
    Last edited by BRB46; 11-20-2013 at 05:59 AM.