GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

i have a crate motor in my 88 and i have a flex fan that is ungodly loud i guess im going to find a tauras now. how much hp should i gain?
    88 GMC Sierra, 3inch Body lift, 33-12.50-15 Mastercraft MT Tires, 1970 350 crate motor, 350 Horsepower, Headers, true dual 3inch exhaust with Dynamax ultaflo mufflers(no cats), euro taillights, 2000 silverado seats with console, aftermarket steering wheel, bushwacker fenderflares, comp cam, B&M slapstick, and every single part is brandnew. still off the road, (3 years) almost done.:great:

BlackBetty, I'm not thinking much, if any. Yes, you're pulling the strain off the main belt of spinning a mechanical fan. But, you're just transferring the load to the alternator, which then has to pull more mechanical power off the belt to generate the electrical current to support the fan. That being said, when I get the chance and the parts, I'm going to perform this mod myself, along with a hearty electrical system upgrade.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBetty350 View Post
    i have a crate motor in my 88 and i have a flex fan that is ungodly loud i guess im going to find a tauras now. how much hp should i gain?

LOL You dont like the way people stare when you take off from park like you are about to run them over cause the truck just roared at them or that it sounds like you have air boat under the hood at times

I have the factory flex fan with a severe duty clutch fan and it does all the above LOL

Poor people just swivel their heads around like its coming for them

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Zero View Post
    LOL You dont like the way people stare when you take off from park like you are about to run them over cause the truck just roared at them or that it sounds like you have air boat under the hood at times

I have the factory flex fan with a severe duty clutch fan and it does all the above LOL

Poor people just swivel their heads around like its coming for them
    Exactly, i just hate the sound. i was going to put a clutch fan to quiet it some cuz i didnt want to spend the 400 dollars for an electric fan setup. but this setup seems cheap and reliable.

I used an efan off a grand marquis on my 03 silverado. Fits perfect and covers the whole radiator with the built in shroud. I have mine running all the time with just a relay and have had no problems. Been about an year now, but they do make ALOT of noise. Sounds cool to me.
    Joe-TX
    03 Silverado ExtCab 5.3
    23" White Oasis Wheels
    Custom Intake
    Hp Tuners Tune
    13.5 In 1/4 Mile
    More Coming Soon!!!

Legend

I had done this to my 'burb after the engine rebuild using Mike's original "how to". Best conversion I did for that old truck. The engine temp used to run just about 210, and with the electric fans on medium speed the engine temp was like 175.

My fan was from a ford Taurus I think. Not sure, the bone yard guy just brought it in and said this fits the measurements you gave me. I completely covers my radiator, and depending on how it's wired up it has multiple speeds. It's a dual fan unit, if anyone is wondering.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Good post.I'm moving back to Vegas in sept. or oct. I'm going to try this mod.
    Can I leave the belt set-up alone?

Blog Entries

ls1 fans in camaros, are dual

and theyre better than one.

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|
    Future Mods: 6.0 LQ4/9| Bags|

Default Electric fan swap Made easy

nice solution. I have mine on my clutch switch also, just because Im lazy and its easy for me to get to. Im not familiar with the lastest auto tranys. Is the neutral safety switch still in the cab or down under the jeep now?

Thanks for these information

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123