GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1993 Chevy Suburban C1500 won't start and has no spark from the coil

I have a 1993 Chevy Suburban C1500 with an automatic transmission. Recently it stalled on me when making low speed turns but would restart. I changed the distributor cap, rotor, spark plug wires, and spark plugs and the vehicle continued to stall. The truck finally died on me and I had it towed home where I replaced the distributor (with ignition module) and IAC valve. The vehicle ran fine for weeks until I went to bleed my brakes. While depressing the brake pedal during the bleeding process, the vehicle began to run erratic and stalled. I completed bleeding the brakes and the truck began to run progressively worse with each depression of the brake pedal. As I backed out of my driveway, the truck stalled and I haven’t been able to restart it since. I have fuel spaying in the injectors (perfect spray pattern) but I have no spark from the coil. I am reading 12 volts from the control module to the coil but not spark. The only code I got for the body computer was low voltage to the fuel pump relay. The coil is new, distributor & module is new, and I changed the IAC valve twice. My truck does not have an electronic spark control module under the hood or under the body computer. I suspect the body computer but I was wondering if it would still produce codes and fire the injectors if it were bad. Is there a possibility that the coil I purchased is bad and how common are bad aftermarket parts? I know Delphi had some problems a few years back.

Legend

Blog Entries

*****Thread moved to correct section of Forum****

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Just wondering...did you get the suburban straightened out? Sounds like quite a perplexing issue . I'd like to know your findings, should I encounter a similar problem. Don't have a TBI truck right now, but I've never been more than a year or so without one since '88.
    IF IT'S 2WD IT NEEDS LOWERED, IF IT'S 4WD, IT NEEDS LIFTED. FACTORY RIDE HEIGHT IS JUST A GOOD STARTING POINT!