GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2012 Silverado 3500 Winter Tires

My truck came with Michelin LT265/70R18 all season tires but are not winter (mountain snowflake) rated. Started looking at some local dealers for a winter tire in that size and finding them hard to locate with load range E. Les Schwab recommended a different size (LT275/65R18) for $260 each. First question is what manufacturer makes a winter tire in my stock size with load range E? Second question: If I can't find a winter tire in my stock size, would the LT275/65R18 tires provide enough clearance in my wheel wells for turning without rubbing any components? With a wider winter tire, I can see a problem with retention of rocks in the treads and throwing them into the wheel well or worse. Last question: any brand recommendations for a tire in my stock size? Thanks for any input.
    Bob Dolan
    2012 Chevrolet Silverado 3500, 4X4
    Single Axle, Long Box, Crew Cab
    6.6L Duramax, 6 speed Allison

Those two tires are close to the same height. The second number in a tire size is a percentage of the first number, giving you the height of a tire. Multiply 265 by 70% and you get 185.5 millimeters. 275 X 65% (.65) is 178.75. A closer match would be a 285/65R18 which would be 185.25 mm tall.

Go to tirerack.com and plug in the size you want. You will see all the brands they offer.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...70&diameter=18

The Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2 is a good tire. I run the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF-10 tires and get excellent mileage out of them. Tirerack doesn't carry them, but Amazon does.

Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 Off-Road Tire - 265/70R17 113T by Hankook http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QL68RI/..._8e6Isb101HY6F
    I like all dogs I meet, and some people too.