GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default New tire Time and

I have to take the stock Ameritrack off at just 28k!! It came with 245/70/17 and I'd like to go up to 265/70/17 to have just a little more meat on the road. I have an LS crew and I think the LT and up come factory with them. My question is how much it would throw the speedo off? Also the places I've shopped said they could only put on the same size as OEM which I think is a joke b/c it's not like I'm putting monster tires on it! Lol. I did ask if it would void the tire warranty if I had them put on else where and they said no. So if it did throw the speedo off- how much?

Thanks in advance

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

3. Thanks Chevyguy69 thanked for this post
    Likes Chevyguy69 liked this post

Go with a 265/65R17 and you would be pretty close. That size would only be 3/4 of a millimeter taller than OEM.
    I like all dogs I meet, and some people too.

5. Thanks Chevyguy69 thanked for this post

The tire dealer will not replace tires that are not OEM sized because of LIABILITY. If the tire is not the proper size and you have an accident, especially where some is hurt or killed, someone will note the tires and they look to suit everyone involved with those tires because you could not control the vehicle.

Go to http://www.discounttiredirect.com and they have a size up chart.

7. Thanks Chevyguy69 thanked for this post

Thanks y'all for the help. I think I'll go with the 265/65/17, it's about as close as I can get without throwing the speedo off and just a bit wider.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy69 View Post
    I have to take the stock Ameritrack off at just 28k!! It came with 245/70/17 and I'd like to go up to 265/70/17 to have just a little more meat on the road. I have an LS crew and I think the LT and up come factory with them. My question is how much it would throw the speedo off? Also the places I've shopped said they could only put on the same size as OEM which I think is a joke b/c it's not like I'm putting monster tires on it! Lol. I did ask if it would void the tire warranty if I had them put on else where and they said no. So if it did throw the speedo off- how much?

Thanks in advance
    my 2000 silverado I ordered from factory had the 245/75/r16 firestone . got 92,000miles with 1/3 tread left. I purchased another set same tires have 50,000miles on them now 50% tread left.

they stopped making these about 6 years ago...

10. Likes Chevyguy69 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    my 2000 silverado I ordered from factory had the 245/75/r16 firestone . got 92,000miles with 1/3 tread left. I purchased another set same tires have 50,000miles on them now 50% tread left.

they stopped making these about 6 years ago...
    Wow, unbelievable mileage and just my luck those are discontinued! I've been looking at Michelins LX but they are high! Now I'm looking at Nexen b/c they have some great reviews and a great price too.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy69 View Post
    Wow, unbelievable mileage and just my luck those are discontinued! I've been looking at Michelins LX but they are high! Now I'm looking at Nexen b/c they have some great reviews and a great price too.
    I payed 112 USD /tire ...now I will have to pay 175 USD to get new tires next time. since I have the 1500 4X4 I would like load C tires as OEM built but not available..must get the load E which is a harder ride...truck rides good with the C tires.

13. Likes Chevyguy69 liked this post

little diff between those two sizes (actually, 1" in diameter, 3/4" in real use). speedo will be off by 3%, max. Hard to believe any tire shop told you that because they make most of their money changing out sizes. Don't shop wally or pep boys, go to big O, 4day, some of those stores. Check out Firestone Destination LE2....great tire, one of the highest customer ratings on several sites.
    Las Vegas, NV...2001 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Stepside X-cab, 171,000 miles, 5.3, cat-back duals, leveling kit, 3.73, 17" rims, more to come...

15. Thanks Chevyguy69 thanked for this post

Yeah it was wallyworld that told me that couldn't change to a tire different than factory

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
    little diff between those two sizes (actually, 1" in diameter, 3/4" in real use). speedo will be off by 3%, max. Hard to believe any tire shop told you that because they make most of their money changing out sizes. Don't shop wally or pep boys, go to big O, 4day, some of those stores. Check out Firestone Destination LE2....great tire, one of the highest customer ratings on several sites.
    Yeah it was wally and against their policy

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by