GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Belt Dressing?

Quote Originally Posted by The Heater View Post
    Yeah, you're the guy who doesn't think he has to follow instructions on packing his parachute either. Go ahead and do everything your way. Some people just don't know how to follow instructions. The prisons are filled with them.
    roflmao! And you do EVERYTHING by the book to the letter right?
    Chuckie!!!

The pantyhose thing may have worked for a few miles 50 years ago.....with todays vehicles, not a chance.

Buy a new belt.

1997 GMC

Quote Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
    The pantyhose thing may have worked for a few miles 50 years ago.....with todays vehicles, not a chance. Buy a new belt.
    it only worked with the V-belt as does belt dressing. Replacement is the only option with serpentine.
    Last edited by BurbanMan; 11-27-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks for some stimulating reading and good info. Interesting enough the can label says it is for serpentine belts as well as v-belts. (Don't fired up folks, I'm not going to use it on my serpentine belt.) I don't need a new serpentine as of yet, but may give it a try on the v-belt of my riding mower.

I just caught this old post. The last time I used belt dressing was around 1994 and after it eat up the internals of the alternator the very next day, I would never use it again. Come to think about it, I haven't seen belt dressing in the stores for a long time.

I think you can find belt dressing next to Fuster Banana's Snake Oil Elixor and Mort's Chrome Muffler Bearings.

This is a product that creates a need by its own marketing. If the belt is not working properly, you replace it. Even on a riding mower.

Mr. Goldie, thank you for serving in the U.S. Marines. I appreciate your service and that of every Marine. I always feel better when there are Marines around.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

7. Thanks Goldie thanked for this post

Works great on dress belts but I'd never use it on the belt for my jeans.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

9. Likes the phantom liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by WorthFlorida View Post
    I just caught this old post. The last time I used belt dressing was around 1994 and after it eat up the internals of the alternator the very next day, I would never use it again. Come to think about it, I haven't seen belt dressing in the stores for a long time.
    Gotta think it was the alternator in the first place. Belt dressing is bad for the belt, but it only increases friction, doesn't eat alternators.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12